All things Green Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the Green Pre and the new R*N*D 5012 design, would it make any sense to use a tx (1:1 - 1:2) between the IC1(a,b) and IC2(a) stages to unbalance the signal (instead of the differential IC2a stage)? Better CMRR? More "iron" in sound?

[quote author="mhelin"]Regarding the Green Pre and the new R*N*D 5012 design, would it make any sense to use a tx (1:1 - 1:2) between the IC1(a,b) and IC2(a) stages to unbalance the signal (instead of the differential IC2a stage)? Better CMRR? More "iron" in sound?[/quote]

You can probably improve CMRR a tiny bit with a transformer if that's really important to you. But I don't know why you would want to have iron in the sound of the Green Pre.
I have just started mine so I havn't heard them yet but as far as i can tell from the stories of others this is a really clean preamp. If you're looking for something with more colour there are other designs better suited for that, maybe stuff like the Neve or Api clones.

Wouldn't putting iron in the sound of the green pre defeat the purpose of the green pre?

Either way, it may have an interesting outcome, but the green pre sounds fantastic as designed.

Let us know if you end up doing it.

Cheers

Another part sourcing problem..

The BOM i'm hosting for PeterC has 22pF and 150 pF capacitors specified. I saw that the two 10pF capacitors in the earlier version of the green pre had been replaced by more 22pF caps.
According to the BOM these shoult be film caps but all i can find are ceramics of these values.
And there are 14 47uF elco's in the BOM but i can only find 9 on the circuit board.

[quote author="peterc"]
And there are 14 47uF elco's in the BOM but i can only find 9 on the circuit board.

Thanks for the heads up, BOM updated.[/quote]

Wierd, I found all 14 on the PCB, although 9 were silkscreened with the large circle, and the other five were small rectangles. The smaller ones all seem to be tied to the IC power lines, and in pictures on Peter's site, look like Electros. I stuffed Electros as per the BOM and the pictures, but won't be firing up the first pre until tonight or tomorrow.

andrew

Can you Green Pre-buliders give some advise before I go for buying the parts?

- For the multiturn trimmers on the Green Pre, how many turns do you recommend to use?

- Also if you would like to add info about what quality, material, brand and model you use. As I been told it's more critical in the 1K then the other two. How do Bourns quality?

- What kind of 10Klog-pot do you use? ordinary or better quality?

I would be very grateful if I could get some answers on this, I havn't found so much on this before here.

[quote author="peterc"]For the trimmers I use 10 turn Bourns copies called "Baron"... They seem to be good.

For the 10k Log pots I use Meggit-Piher carbons, but there are many that will work.

Peter[/quote]
Thanks Peter....always to count on for help....don't you ever getting tired of all newbie-questions? :grin: :oops:

By the way, what brand/serie do you use for the elyts, do you think that is critical for the Green??? (I'm still looking for the best deal vs. quality for it will be needed).

Hadn't seen mentioned before, but sorry if it was: did anyone thrown a film-'bypass' of any value to that 4700uF-electrolytic yet ? I figure it needs to be several uFs to have an helping influence...

By the way, what brand/serie do you use for the elyts, do you think that is critical for the Green??? (I'm still looking for the best deal vs. quality for it will be needed)

There are some "best electrolytic" threads here at The Lab, they will give you a good idea of what to look for. I use Rubicon YXF(?) low ESR caps.

did anyone thrown a film-'bypass' of any value to that 4700uF-electrolytic yet ?

Tried a .1uF, no difference to my ears.

Peter

I second Peter.

I did some Bass Guitar throught a Boss DI-1 (yeah, not the greatest, but built like brick for gigging) and I was very happy with the results.

Cheers

Matt

Latest posts

Back