Allen + Heath 2416 power supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sousaphone

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and I'm wondering if anyone can help with my search for a way to power my Allen heath mixer. Its a system 8, 24 channels 16 tape returns. It has +15-15v for power and two ground poles aswell as a 48v pole for the phantom. As I dont have a power supply, Could I purchase a DC power supply online and add a ground wire to the plug? I can use an external 48v box for microphones but I cant seem to find a suitable supply anywhere, it takes 5 pin XLR connection for power and I was gonna just sellotape the wires to the poles on the mixer!
I have a spare supply for a yamaha PM1800 desk, which is 17v, aswell as 12.5v and 48v but that would probably be too powerful and it doesn't have the right connector.
If anyone has any idea how I can achieve power for this desk I would really appreciate some advice.
Many thanks, Dylan.
Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 15.27.38.pngIMG_0281.jpg

I built one for a client a couple years ago. I used a Power One supply for the +/-15V and a Meanwell supply for +48V.

Attachments

• AH PSU.jpg
    AH PSU.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 26
  • AH PSU2.jpg
    AH PSU2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 25
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and I'm wondering if anyone can help with my search for a way to power my Allen heath mixer. Its a system 8, 24 channels 16 tape returns. It has +15-15v for power and two ground poles aswell as a 48v pole for the phantom. As I dont have a power supply, Could I purchase a DC power supply online and add a ground wire to the plug? I can use an external 48v box for microphones but I cant seem to find a suitable supply anywhere, it takes 5 pin XLR connection for power and I was gonna just sellotape the wires to the poles on the mixer!
I have a spare supply for a yamaha PM1800 desk, which is 17v, aswell as 12.5v and 48v but that would probably be too powerful and it doesn't have the right connector.
If anyone has any idea how I can achieve power for this desk I would really appreciate some advice.
Many thanks, Dylan.
View attachment 95002View attachment 95003
You may want to check out this mixing console power-supply company. They design and manufacture an independent third-party power-supply to power AMEK, NEVE, SSL and other mixing consoles and from the reviews I have read, these power-supplies also even lower the noise-floor of the consoles they drive. Here is their website:

https://www.atomicinstrument.com/
And.....here is a photo of one of their power-supplies:

1654984726761.png

Then.....if you happen not to be skilled enough to physically take all of the component parts that -- Jon S -- sources for you and build something usable with them, I could take all of those parts and either design a "rack-mount" chassis for you or buy one "off-the-shelf" and package everything together as a finished power-supply that you can place into your studio and power your A&H mixing console with. See attached PDF file. PM me to discuss further.

/

Attachments

• JBW-Designed - RACK STUFF -- Assemblies-Chassis-DAB-Enclosures-Panels-PCB's-Systems_2205.pdf
    9 MB · Views: 19
To give you a costing, I need to know what sort of case you would prefer, ie rack mounted,under the desk out of the way etc.
If the serial number is below 1100, check the protection mod has been done. This is a pair of 1N914/4148 diodes reverse biased between the + & -ve rails to each input of the TL072s. Attached the mod sheet relevant to this issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 07.56.40.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 07.56.40.png
    652.3 KB · Views: 13
OK.
Rack mounted case or standard case?
The best are linear power units as they tend to suit these older units.
I shall give you a costing when I have checked the cost of parts.
Can you pm me your email address please for confirmation etc.

Hi Jon,
Sorry for the late response, could you still fashion a supply for my Allen heath 2416? I believe its a mk2. I couldn't find a pm function on the website. my email address is [email protected]. Also I bought a cheap linear supply of cpC farNell, dialled it up to 15 volts but it wouldn't go up to 1amp so I couldn't really get much out of the desk with it.

If you don't need 48V phantom power then a couple of 30W PowerOne or similar linear supplies (or a single dual-rail one) in a box with safe mains wiring, and a cable up to the 5-pin XLR cable. Preferably a fused and filtered IEC mains inlet, neon switch on the front, maybe LEDs for the two DC supplies if you like twinkle lights. Maybe fuse the two DC outs as well just in case. The original MPS8P was nothing special.

Neil

Latest posts

Back