Alps Switch Extenders

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rochey said:
Regarding your experience with the ender printer.

Designing for consumer grade 3d printers requires a slightly different tact. you have to expect the poor tolerance!

There's a little infographic here: https://blog.adafruit.com/2020/01/24/a-poster-of-cad-design-tips-for-3dprinting-cad-billierubenmake/

HAve a look at the one about compliance. It may inspire you to modify the step file to allow for some flex. (and essentially make the FDM printed part clamp around the switch actuator etc)

Very interesting infographic! I have a LOT to learn about 3D printing...

rbuskov said:
Very interesting infographic! I have a LOT to learn about 3D printing...

happy to help. All early adopters of technology need to learn the hacks required.

Printing in Resin isn't perfect either. It's incredibly brittle, so too much force when connecting parts can cause parts to break easily.
With FDM - always think about the orientation of the layers. Z axis (moving higher from the bed) is always weaker than X and Y.

Ultimately, If you need strenth and accuracy, the winning combo I see is Resin printer for accuracy, then molding (in silicone) and casting the part in a tougher resin.

Back