Altec 1592 output transformer, Internal Part No. 16681

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sircletus

Greetings, all. Does anyone know the turns ratio of these output transformers? I can't find any data on them, and I'm wondering if there's a modern replacement. Also wondering if these are Peerless like many other Altec trafos. Thanks!

Sounds like you have a 1592A. The "B" version has a different output stage and transformer.

The secondary we know is 150/600 ohms. The primary is fed from two 2N3053 and two "AL2712" which are selected 2N2712 as shown below. Now someone smarter than me will tell you the output impedence of that stage (probably very low). There is also a tertiary winding that feeds the monitor output and VU meter, so I am going to take a wild guess and say 600 ohms?

Attachments

• AL2712.png
    AL2712.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanks, mjrippe. I have the schematics, and I suspect you’re right. Maybe a 1:1. Would also like to know the impedance of that tertiary winding. Perhaps the Cinemag folks would know.

Indeed, Doug. Can't get DC readings as I am no longer in possession of one! Kind of annoyed at myself for not measuring that before I got rid of mine. I usually make it a point to gather this kind of data. *facepalm*

Thanks, mjrippe. I have the schematics, and I suspect you’re right. Maybe a 1:1. Would also like to know the impedance of that tertiary winding. Perhaps the Cinemag folks would know.
My "wild guess" of 600 ohms was for the tertiary. It could also be a 10k winding for the monitor out/meter though.

Latest posts

Back