Altec 250A Console Restoration Dilema

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guto P

Hi, I have an Altec 250A console for restoration. It was of Eldorado Radio Station from Sao Paulo - Brazil since 1958. I am cleaning it and thinking to restore to use like a preamp for analog recording and DAW, but there is a dilema, it is incomplete. It had two outs channels and a lot of high and low levels ins (microphones, lines, utility, air cue). Originally there was for nine plug ins preamps A-428B (seven from factory and two addictional) and three plug ins line amps A-429B.

In A-428B section preamps, there was five for microphones and two for boost (when used as booster the input transformer is connected for 150 ohms). The two boosters is for the mains channels A and B outs. There is a mounting tray to more two additional A-428B to use as microphone preamp. Also there is option to use two external microphone preamp feed through jacks.

In A-429B section, two units is for line amp in the main channels outs A and B (after the two A-428B boosters). The other A-429B unit is for monitor, amplifying talkback microphones and outs to speakers (studio A, studio B and control room). Is the same amplifier for line and monitor, just change the supply voltage to the output. For line mode is reduced 25% (1 watt output) and for monitor mode is full voltage (8 watts output).

But my Altec just had one preamp A-428B and two line amp A-429B. I am thinking in to use the A-428B as microphone preamp and two A-429B as line amp in main channels A and B to mastering Left and Right stereo recording, without monitor section. But the dilema is: “is it possible without the two A-428B used as booster in A and B channels out?”

Another option is to use the A-428B as booster, just for use in one channel out, without stereo and microphone preamp (but will can use two external microphone preamp in jacks). The other radical option is use the three plug ins amps as stand alone (and lossing the 250A Console, without keys, mix, volume control, VUs).

I am posting pictures and copy of block diagram and lower section layout. Thanks a lot to Mike mjrippe for email me the manual and invite me to the GroupDIY. Sorry my mistakes in English. I would like know opinions of the experts. Thanks.

Guto P

Attachments

• block diagram.png
    block diagram.png
    388.8 KB · Views: 35
  • lower section.png
    lower section.png
    628.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Eldorado Radio Station 1958 Sao Paulo.PNG
    Eldorado Radio Station 1958 Sao Paulo.PNG
    687.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6262.JPG
    IMG_6262.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6263.JPG
    IMG_6263.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6264.JPG
    IMG_6264.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6265.JPG
    IMG_6265.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6266.JPG
    IMG_6266.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6267.JPG
    IMG_6267.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6268.JPG
    IMG_6268.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6269.JPG
    IMG_6269.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6270.JPG
    IMG_6270.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6272.JPG
    IMG_6272.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6273.JPG
    IMG_6273.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6274.JPG
    IMG_6274.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6275.JPG
    IMG_6275.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 33
Greetings Guto,

As I probably mentioned in our emails, I have never worked on an entire console. I have racked the 428B as a stand-alone preamp and it has plenty of gain. A friend of mine who is a mastering engineer uses a pair of 429B that he can insert in his signal chain. I'm sure that Doug @emrr will have some input here.

Yours,
Mike

Yes, thanks, first I intend to keep the Console, I will try to work without the booster amp. I'll try by passing the booster simply without putting the booster amp plugin on mounting tray or maybe making a direct link, a jump if necessary

If you won't use the other input channels, you could disconnect much of the mixer network and lessen the mixing loss, which is why there's a booster stage.

The booster and PGM amps are probably unbalanced with one side grounded, confirm from schematics. That's another consideration.

This is such an attractive platform and a great centerpiece. I'd be tempted to build DIY amps for the other slots, since they are standard D-dub connectors. But it depends on what you really want to do. These consoles are impractical for most modern use, but not all. Original amps will be hard to find under $1000 apiece anymore.

Thanks for posting Doug. Great tip to desconnect. The mics ins and line ins with transformer is balanced but the mixers section is unbalanced. I dont know what I will do, I will try some options, but probally use the amps as stand alone and let to somebody DIY new plugins amps

Latest posts

Back