altec 436 output transformer is going bad

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewilson

One of my altecs has a crackling primary winding in the output transformer... Is there anyone who can fix a Peerless: or should i buy a sowter?  I use as a stereo pair so i guess i would be buying two unless the sowters are close?

You could go parallel feed with cap iso and a split choke and see if it works, keep most of the original sound.  An Edcor transformer may work fine as an inductor to feed DC.  I've saved a couple of DC coupled output transformer situations this way.  The partial failure in the cases I've seen is that the winding is going just enough that it doesn't like current draw over a certain amount, but still measures fine for audio signature and DC resistance. 

Don't know how specialized your pair is, but I'd be more inclined to fix the one, sell it, get another to match the good one. 

i see. mine have been emi modded so i have that 100k resister from plate on vari  mu tube to the 6gc7 plate..  that would pose a problem i think ?

i guess that wouldnt make any difference,  i see what your saying now.  need a chock though

Back