Alternate caps for F-series pushbutton switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreams

Anyone know if there's anything like that? What I'd really like are clear or red versions of those standard 'bullet style' ones, but seems c&k only offer a few colors. Any leads on anything that fits the standard F series switches would be great. Thanks!

Use this search at Digikey, otherwise you will have to search the web yourself. They never made clear ones but did make the winker ones.
https://www.digikey.co.nz/products/en/switches/accessories-caps/210?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&v=108&s=794&sf=0&FV=-8%7C210&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

radardoug said:
Use this search at Digikey, otherwise you will have to search the web yourself. They never made clear ones but did make the winker ones.

Thanks, but none of their other offerings will fit in the same size hole. I need caps that'll fit on the switch and be the same diameter or slightly smaller

Is C&K the only brand that makes caps that fit on the old schadow type switches?

Spent far too much time looking into this myself last summer, but was looking for several colors, not just red. What I found was that C&K is the only current option, other than used/NOS stuff. I’ve read conflicting information that C&K have/haven’t discontinued them.  I wasn’t able to find any alternatives that fit the switches that also fit existing chassis holes and came in different colors. Hopefully someone else has come across substitutes.

For anyone looking for the schadow-type buttons, here’s what i’ve learned. Maybe it’ll save someone time/mental health.

The reality is, you can still get them new from the usual sources. I ended up buying a lot of them in case they are actually discontinued. Mouser and Digi-key quantities have been low, which may indicate that they are just selling off existing stock. I’ve had a backorder in for the blue button model for 7 months now, and the expected delivery date from the factory keeps getting pushed out. But I’ve yet to get the dreaded “we give up” cancellation notice.  But i was able to stock up on the orange,  white, green and yellow varieties between Mouser and a Digi-key. C&K don’t have red as an option any more based on the current catalog (see below).

Be sure to get the F11 variety and not the F8 models (unless you know that’s specifically what you need). The F11 don’t have the little external arm on them that connects to the chassis and will work with nearly any switch they fit onto. The F8s (with the external arm) require specific switch models to work.

Here’s a link to the C&K catalog section/datasheets. There’s a table towards the end with the available colors and their numeric codes. Your choices of colors are white, yellow, blue, green and orange. (But like I said, I’ve been waiting on the blue color for months). I ended up searching the web for the specific model numbers for each button color, and all roads lead back to the sources above (along with Newark/Farnell)

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/60/fpush-965301.pdf

Button model number: F110101XX (where XX= button color code):

02=white
06=yellow
07=blue
08=green
12=orange

I’ve picked up red F11 style buttons on eBay, but of course it’s hit or miss there.

Not wanting to sidetrack the thread, just hoping to save others time on this topic. Hopefully someone can help Dreams with his quest for alternatives.

Good luck!

The OP mentioned "bullet style" which implies just a solid round cap which tapers down from the switch's shaft  towards the user.  F11 is the "winkie eyeball" version.  The eyeballs are kinda cool, but likely near obsolete these days.

I think there are some F-series switch clone makers that sell sell the "simple" caps, but I forget the names.

Bri

Brian Roth said:
The OP mentioned "bullet style" which implies just a solid round cap which tapers down from the switch's shaft  towards the user.  F11 is the "winkie eyeball" version.  The eyeballs are kinda cool, but likely near obsolete these days.

By golly, you’re right, Bri. I saw F-series and assumed it was about the winky type because so many questions get asked about those as they dwindle away.

note to self: don’t respond to forums 3 glasses of wine into the evening.

Sorry for the distraction. Carry on!

I was surprised to see the eyeball model at Digikey when I did the search, as I thought they were long gone. They looked cool when they worked.

Back