Am I crazy (lazy)? Thinkin of not finishing a build for the first time

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonkan

I am starting to feel "insane", because I have this half built pm670 with all the bits and pieces except for meters and case lying at home. I also have a fully stuffed DAOC thats just missing case and meters and soldering the pots and transformers. Im actually for the first time thinking of not finishing them. They have been lying in my wardrobe for almost two years (which incidently is about the same period of time that ive been depressed).

Now im feeling better, but im still thinking that i wanna start something new and fresh and not have to build these stuff that i got in what i would consider a dark period in my life.

The DAOC is almost finished, and I have a 2u case somehwere (i think, haha), so i might finish that. But im actually thinking of selling the pm670 stuff and starting an 51x rack instead. Seems like there would be less hassle with psu:s and metalwork, once i got that up and running. And i absolutely HATE metalwork...so tedious, and I dont have the proper tools etc.

What do you guys think? Maybe strange question, since i know you guys will say why not build both the daoc/pm670 and the 51x rack, haha.

I do need more compressors. I have only an ultimate gssl, a symetrix 522, and a sound skulptor tape simulator (which i guess could be classified as a compressor sort of). I have 12ch of preamps i built, and an allen&heath zed r16 desk with pretty nice eq, so I dont really need pres or eqs right now.

This really is a luxurious problem, but still...I feel bad when i think about half finished builds in my wardrobe.

Sorry for the long rant!
/j

If you need a compressor, try to finish the DAOC. A very nice comp and less troubles
than the PM670. If you look for instant (well almost) gratitude, this could be it!  ;)

Take care,

Anders

(god jul!)

Depression..ouch...
Hope you feel better.
Ive been there on an entire winter and i actually fear winter.

But thats long behind.

Nothing wrong with half finished projects, I'm sure every other member here gots piles. I do, anyway.
You don't have to put "Why" in the DIY. It's meant to be fun, and if you don't feel like building, don't build.
Parts and projects don't have an expiration date, you can always get back to them when you ready.

Jonkan said:
Now im feeling better, but im still thinking that i wanna start something new and fresh and not have to build these stuff that i got in what i would consider a dark period in my life.

My humble advice will be to finish all of them. Take them head on. You'll feel much better.

Sredna said:
If you need a compressor, try to finish the DAOC. A very nice comp and less troubles
than the PM670. If you look for instant (well almost) gratitude, this could be it!  ;)

Take care,

Anders

(god jul!)

I second this. If you finish the DAOC it will make you feel good (I definitely get a buzz everytime I finish a unit). Finishing both units might seem too much of a mountain to climb right now, and I can completely understand how an unfinished build can be a rock around your neck, rather than merely a "temporary stored lot of components". One last piece of advice: do not order the 51x until you have either finished or sold the two units. just my 2 cent.

I understand exactly where your at.

I'd finish them and put a final nail in the coffin of the last 2 years as you start new.

As far as metal work, Spend a few $ and have Front panel expresses Euro half do the front and back for you. All you would have to do is drill a couple holes to mount the PCB or you can use the stick down mounts....

Man, I've been there. I've had projects drag for years, to the point where I almost think, I'm just going to stick that stuff in the bin and move on to something else. But I've found that pulling the projects out and having a look at what needs to be done can actually inspire you to just finish it off. A million times I've thought to myself "but I'll have to go back through those threads and remember all those little details about the project", only to find that a quick browse of the docs and it's like you never left the project. With some renewed enthusiasm for the project, you can knock it over in a few days and then you've got a new bit of kit to show for it.

Pull that DAOC out and nail it... you'll feel great.

people and opinions can change over time. We all have projects that are in the need to finish pile. If all we had was time for DIY then it would never be an issue. If you ask me that d-aoc sounds great and would be a good project to finish.  Mine fits in so well.

I am with you about metal working though, even with the right tools, it's still a pain IMO.

As for the PM670, if you got all the bits and bobs for it and you don't think you want to finish, then you can sell it all off... I am sure you can get a decent price for all the parts.

Ive decided to go for it. Just ordered a 3u case with ventilation from modushop for the pm670, and the daoc is on my bench soldering station ready to go.

I decided that Im not a quitter! And after this im starting my 51x rack (and the decline of my economy).

Anyway, does anybody know a good source for vu meters?

/J

Most important to consider: do you still want finished units in your studio one day?  Will you one day read a post about how great the A-DOCs are and regret selling them? If so, tuck them in a cardboard box, tape the box shut, and hide them away on a shelf until you're out of your rut.

I've got all the parts for an LA2 in a box with no intention of returning to any time soon. Six years from now, provided I'm still alive, I will finish it. The LA2 will be a "nice to have" piece, but not essential to my recording chain. It will be a fun, slow, enjoyable build once I have a calmer life.

If you're moving to a 51x rack, and you see that as the future of your studio, by all means, ditch the full units and go there. Modular builds are lighter, nimbler, more carefree, with much less build time re: metalwork. Some may disagree, but I see your fully stuffed board as not even half completed. For me, the racking is the real work; the stuffing is a cakewalk.

Most importantly, if the depression persists, talk to a doctor if you haven't already. Most men (at least in america) won't go to a doctor without a woman pushing them. Don't be shy about seeking help when you need it.

Best of luck!

Dont worry, i have excellent help! Just took me 29 years to get there, haha.

I dont even have a studio, most of the stuff is in my livingroom in big piles. I do want a studio some day though...

/J

Jonkan said:
Ive decided to go for it. Just ordered a 3u case with ventilation from modushop for the pm670, and the daoc is on my bench soldering station ready to go.

I decided that Im not a quitter! And after this im starting my 51x rack (and the decline of my economy).

Anyway, does anybody know a good source for vu meters?

/J

good on you. No where is that thumbs up approval emoticon we used to have.

Thanks for all the kind words!

Im sitting here, and I am trying to figure out how to hook up an edcor xs1100 transformer on the input.

Datasheet: http://edcorusa.com/products/346-xs1100.aspx

How do i best hook it up? Can i use it somehow in reverse so i get an 1:2 input for lower threshold of compression, or will that fuck up the impedances too much?

Been to long since ive done this, so its not entirely clear to me.

Any help appreciated!
/J

Back