Am I the only Drummer/Music Nerd whos into.....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENS Audio

Am I the only Drummer/Music Nerd out there whos into playing music with such ridiculious genre "labels" such as Jazz/Prog/Metal, aka"tech metal"???

Dont get me wrong, I do enjoy most styles of music but when it comes to "playing" music, nothing is more fun to me than playing a medley of tunes from such bands as Meshuggah, Tool, Spiral Architect, Behold the Arctopus, Necrophagist, Cynic, etc.

Everyone that I know would rather play the classic/modern rock hash thats syndicated all over the ClearChannel owned radio stations here in the US.

Its really frustrating, I feel like im a part of some "endangered species" group thats going to go extinct very soon....hehe

Are there any folks out there who can relate??? even if you cant stand the crap that im into; what are some of the coping methods for you??? :green:

I started playing drums to death metal back in the late 80's early 90's. I moved on to Black metal and then mixed this with atmospheric stuff and finally molded it into a metallic jazzy, upbeat type of thing.

I've moved away from the crazy blast beats and towards strange time signatures and odd progressions that may or may not even have a definite timing. Nothing is harder than making something nonsensical fit a melody..

But I still have fun and play to fit the song a lot of the times.

"back in the late 80's early 90's"

I used to play metal guitar back in the day when it was still sort of underground. (heavier the better)

I was into every kind of metal there was when i was young and still have an interest in a few of them.

I have greatly broadened my musical tastes , but the heavier edge always peaks my interest.

I like Tool of course.. Meshuggah is good. I've never heard of the others, but i'll check them out.

Gojira is cool & Lamb of God, but probably not the style you mentioned.

Not technical at all, but Killing Joke is a favorite.

I've wondered the same thing.

I have so many different styles it's hard to release something without calling it a mix album.

Who would want to listen to a rock/metal/jazz/blues/pop/soul/hiphop/country/bluegrass album?

Aw, come on!

There are plenty of people into that sort of Metal. Tool are one of the biggest bands in he world. I find it maybe a bit tiring though and sometimes a bit hard on the ears in the morning on my way to work, so I don't listen to it that often.

If you like Rock with odd time signatures, maybe listen to Sleeping People:

http://www.seeqpod.net/search/?plid=45f6003ecf

I've recently been listening to them. You might also like For Respect by Don Caballero as it is quite Metal - I put a track of theirs in the link too.

I had already the 2nd CD of 'Golden', anyone heard of them perhaps?
Today they're called 'Extra Golden' and they've gone Africa, don't know yet if I want to follow, but that aside. Last weekend I got their 1st & 3rd in, nice as well.

And perhaps the greatest thing of it: no (or hardly) any vocals :cool:

I mean, I might have liked bands as Mars Volta if they didn't have vocals.

Bands like Golden do that, nice shuffles, big fat distorted & also cleanish guitars, I mean not the flat zzzzzz-metal sounds but truly wicked guitar-tones.

Don't get me wrong though, I do like vocals, I'd say David Yow is a mighty fine singer :thumb:

The tech metal / prog-hardcore scene is still thriving, although many of its best have adopted more mainstream styles as their popularity has grown. I have mixed emotions about this.

Don Caballero is amazing, and the drums are truly the "front man." Having no vocals to compete with, the drummer is the foremost musical voice. Not to take anything away from their guitarists, particularly Ian Williams (currently playing in Battles), who are stellar.

More suggestions:

ISIS
Dillinger Escape Plan
Playing Enemy
Botch
Mastodon
Daughters
Russian Circles

[quote author="skipwave"]
Mastodon
[/quote]

How ironic..listening to Blood Mountian atm, I dont why so many people think this is one of their most "mediocre" album? Its just as good as anything else they have put out in the past few years. :?

To answer your question, No. I didn't know what a blast beat was the first time I was complimented on my blast beats. I just pretend to play this kind of music, but it's fun. You can hear some of it on myspace, check out deathlist5, not to be confused with deathlist five.

[quote author="clintrubber"]

[/quote]

It seems I'm listening to less and less bands with vocals at the moment.

I agree about the Mars Volta. There were occasional moments of genius there, but they totally blew it somehow. I still like At The Drive In even though I've heard people say they didn't stand the test of time. They were my favourite band when I was 16.

Yes. Check out Red Sparowes too if you haven't. There's an Isis connection there:

http://www.seeqpod.net/search/?plid=609d41eceb

[quote author="rodabod"][quote author="clintrubber"]

[/quote]

It seems I'm listening to less and less bands with vocals at the moment.[/quote]
If that preference for vocal-less bands keeps developing it might even solve the problem of my own band: gtr-drms-bss, but we can't find a singer (M/F) to our liking. We might not even be needing one! :cool:

That's the fun thing these days, lots and lots of bands that are well-received while they're not in the 'expected format'. Kudos to the audiences. :thumb:

[quote author="rodabod"]I agree about the Mars Volta. There were occasional moments of genius there, but they totally blew it somehow. I still like At The Drive In even though I've heard people say they didn't stand the test of time. They were my favourite band when I was 16.[/quote]
I like the music Bjork makes, but not her vocals. The singer of The Mars Volta sounds like her brother to me, so there we have another little problem :wink:

Cheers,

Peter

Tools great. I feel the same about mars volta. great sometimes then ,... wtf!. Beat poet Ill take a copy of that mix please!

Latest posts

Back