AMI vs Sowter transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zim

Just wondering if anyone has any advice / experience for when it comes to these two brands...

Currently getting components together for Rainton’s La2a build for which the Sowter seems to be a popular alternative to the, now prohibitively expensive UTC transformers. AMI do some UTC replacements but it seems that, until recently, they were only available to buy in bulk, so can’t find any information on how they stack up vs the Sowters

I’m inclined to go AMI as that would seem to be a closer direct replacement for the original transformers, but being pretty new to DIY don’t how these two compare to each other as brands.

appreciate any insights anyone can offer

thanks

Zim

(and if I’ve posted this in the wrong forum please advise - Intended more as a general query than project specific, but wasn’t clear where it was best to post)

I don't think I've seen a review of the AMI A10 & A24 yet but maybe someone will come along.

FWIW, I believe these were initially developed by Oliver specifically to go in a product and the designer of that product was quite particular about them being very close to original UTC's

Last I heard (a few months ago) he was happy with them.

Probably doesn't really help you all that much to decide.

Any new information is helpful at this point, so appreciate It.

I’d never heard of AMI before as a brand, and Sowter only because so many had used it for in their La2a’s. But, as I say, I’ve only recently started getting an idea of the quality component manufacturers since embarking on this DIY journey.

Carnhill, Lundahl or cinemag, marinair for example, were probably the sum total of brands I associated with quality transformers. No clue about where someone like AMI or Sowter sit.

That’s certainly not meant as a slight to them - I’d never heard of e.g. WIMA, Vishay or Tim Campbell before either, but slowly getting an idea of who’s considered to be ‘up there’ when selecting various parts...

Well, AMI was/is part of the late Oliver Archut's company Tab-Funkenwerk and they've been making transformers for other companies to put in their expensive microphones for years. Bock, Klaus Heine etc.
Not limited to mic transformers though, they've been making accurate transformers for V72/V76 mic amps for ages too.

I've no doubt their A10 & A24 type transformers will be good, although I've no first-hand experience with them so...

Latest posts

Back