Ampex 440 build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkleystudios

Hey guys. Been doing a lot of tape lately and really want to look into a multi track machine. I think I want to build an ampex 440 8 track. Seems like others have been able to Frankenstein them and the availability of parts for them makes it kind of hopeful that this won't be an unachievable thing. The hardest think for me to locate right now are the heads... Has anyone hear attempted this?

Are you seriously planning on building one from the ground up transport and  all??? Or are you thinking more along the lines of a restoration job?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Are you seriously planning on building one from the ground up transport and  all??? Or are you thinking more along the lines of a restoration job?

Cheers

Ian

More of a resto job. But by piecing it together out of smaller 440s.  I know they made 8 track 1" versions but in finding it hard to find heads for them, albeit it's hard finding good heads for a lot of machines these days

Back