Amps Schmamps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unbound

(First and foremost, I apologize for my poor knowledge of electricity)
So I have a question that someone may be able to help me on (and if you can please please do)-

A friend and I are building a power supply for 4 Sony MXP mic preamps taken out of the board. They require 48v (phantom) and +18/-18 for the op-amp. So we are looking at building one supply split four ways.

WHAT KIND OF AMPERAGE DO I NEED?

What's safe? I know I don't want to go too high, but I never heard anybody really talk about this in their diy stuff before; is there a way I can figure out what I need? Or is their a range of amps that is safe for this kind of project? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Aaron

(PS-Can I use this to power four somehow? Link-http://www.beatbazar.com/guests/ssltech/kps-1/index.htm)

Go for 1 amp plus on the 18 and 100 ma on the phantom.
Some nice supplies at Elliots DIY mixer but all my bookmarks got nuked when I rebooted my computer in frustration over a Adobe iduced lockup!
Why do older rev software programs work better than the new stuff!!!
A note to software engineers: When you get to the smooth, bug free, quick booting software stage, LEAVE IT THE F ALONE!!!

Anybody know how to recover lost book marks!
:sad:

[quote author="cjenrick"]when I rebooted my computer in frustration over a Adobe iduced lockup!
Why do older rev software programs work better than the new stuff!!![/quote]
There is a reason why I still use Photoshop 3 and PageMaker 5... I don't think either have ever caused a lockup.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

right. The power supply is like a reservoir, the unit you connect to it will draw what it needs. If you have the data sheet for the modules you are working with, it should list the current draw and then you'll know for sure. Its always good to have plenty of extra current available in the suppply and wont hurt your amp any...

dave

[quote author="cjenrick"]
A note to software engineers: When you get to the smooth, bug free, quick booting software stage, LEAVE IT THE F ALONE!!![/quote]
No DOUBT! I suppose those guys have got to do something to make a living but...this has bitten me in the butt more times than I care to remember.

Anybody know how to recover lost book marks!
:sad:
Are you using IE? Or Netscape? I use NS to try and avoid all the security holes in IE and Outlook. Actually, I use a Mac at work to avoid all viruses entirely! :thumb:

Peace!
Charlie

Back