An incredible musician!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

Several months ago I saw a video of an insane musical instrument, and Friday went looking for it again. Found it!

Clicking on the poster's link, I've found some of the most amazing bass performances I've ever heard. He is witty and plays a bass in ways I've never heard or seen before. I've been listening on and off all weekend, but with 451 videos it'll take some time to go through them all! The songs on a a 6 string fretless with a metal fingerboard are jaw dropping.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi_uNeDWRXj8C8yw358gWw

Guess I'm not the only one...Charles has nearly 2 million subscribers.

Recommended!!

Bri

Charles Berthoud is an incredible bass player indeed.
From the same 'crew' of gifted musician there is 'Davie504' which isn't clumsy either.

My preference goes to Fami, who joined Japanese progressive virtuose metal band 'Lovebites' 1 or two years ago.

Technically speaking she is just incredible and she is just in her 20ies. Within 'Lovebites' she display a nice musicality and is on par with the other 'virtuosa' players.

She shocked bass playing world with a cover of a Japanese song (?): Alien alien. There is probably some editing on the video (the 'finger salad' in tapping parts is somewhat dubbious especially on the first part) but... 😱 she wasn't even 17 when it was shooted:

Last edited:
Several months ago I saw a video of an insane musical instrument, and Friday went looking for it again. Found it!

Clicking on the poster's link, I've found some of the most amazing bass performances I've ever heard. He is witty and plays a bass in ways I've never heard or seen before. I've been listening on and off all weekend, but with 451 videos it'll take some time to go through them all! The songs on a a 6 string fretless with a metal fingerboard are jaw dropping.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi_uNeDWRXj8C8yw358gWw

Guess I'm not the only one...Charles has nearly 2 million subscribers.

Recommended!!

Bri

What a great video. While I love his playing, I am curious as to how that thing is constructed and works as far as electrical connections. Thanks for sharing.

Well, Charles is fast but also tasty. He's also a great arranger, producer and recordist. So many to choose from, but I really liked this one.

Bri

Last edited:
Well, Charles is fast but also tasty. He's also a great arranger, producer and recordist. So many to choose from, but I really liked this one.

Yes he can be brutal too. He started into an Hardcore metal band.

Davie504, Charles Bertoult, Ola Englund,Laytar ( take a look she is a killer guitarist!),... they are all part of the same 'galaxy' of 'bedroom musicians'* challenging each others... in scripted stories and playing characters for entairtainment. They are clever. And there is so very, very good musicians out there.

Playing fast is not the same as playing well.

You say that for Fami? I find it unfair: forget the 'solo' parts and focus on the groove, shes is really really on 'the pocket', tight and accurate. I agree playing fast is not playing well, but playing fast very technical things ( all the fills and the things with the harmonics is crazy difficult to play, even more on a 5 string) and still having the groove in place is not something given to many. And Lovebites is not your homie's band: those girls are legends in their style. When they drafted Fami they organised audition 'a la Metallica' "Some kind of Monster"'s way ( documentary when Jason Newsteed left the band and they had to hire a new bassist: Robert Trujillo, a legend amongst the legends they auditioned...) and all bassist were incredible. Like everything this generation does it's shooted/recorded and documented on the web.

* not really bedroom musicians in fact, many of them are graduated from prestigious school. Davie504 is. ;)

Last edited:
You say that for Fami? I find it unfair: forget the 'solo' parts and focus on the groove, shes is really really on 'the pocket', tight and accurate. I agree playing fast is not playing well, but playing fast very technical things ( all the fills and the things with the harmonics is crazy difficult to play, even more on a 5 string) and still having the groove in place is not something given to many.

No argument there, it is certainly a rare talent, but that is what makes a good technician, not a good musician.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back