An interesting 500-series version of the ART Pro VLA

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarmageddon

The rack version doesn't need much of an introduction here, there are plenty of swaps and mods people have found that make that decent, attractively priced compressor do impressive things.

What I didn't know until about 20 seconds before I bought a pair for $200, was that there was a 500-series version. Or, sort of. Like Vanilla Ice says, "it's not the same."

The 500 version introduces two small additions on switches - a JFET 'punch' mode and (iirc) a diode for 'grit' mode. I might come back to that.

Though they were miles apart when I tried to match their calibration up (at least there were variable resistors, maybe the previous owner was fiddling with 'em) - and I (nor the manual) make any mention of how the 'link' function works in stereo operation, there's some interesting opportunities in here. First thing I noticed is the Vtl5c2 vactrol elements, that opens up some possibilities.

Wondering if anyone else has ever benched up one of these weird-o's. Surprised to see ART made a 500/VPR anything, tbh.

Latest posts

Back