Analog ( & some Digital ) "Passed" ? R.i.p. ? ....(mouse too)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which console do you speak of? The raven is nothing more then a fancy touch screen interface for pro tools combined with a monitor controller. 

The best one is the quote "when we speak with a lot of engineers, they don't know which mic pre to go for" ::)

He was on pensado's place.  Dave's opening question was something like "your quite an interesting guy, I tried to look you up ahead of time but can't seem to find out anything about you" slate reminds me of record excutive, does a lot of talking without saying anything.

That thing looks awesome!  I wonder how much faster it is than a keyboard and mouse though...  I've found lots of the controllers to slow down my process and just are something pretty to look at.  I wonder if some people think you can't have a studio with out some big expensive mixer/controller In-between the speakers.

Just my $.02

Thanks for posting!

bieckmusic said:
That thing looks awesome!  I wonder how much faster it is than a keyboard and mouse though...  I've found lots of the controllers to slow down my process and just are something pretty to look at.  I wonder if some people think you can't have a studio with out some big expensive mixer/controller In-between the speakers.

Just my $.02

Thanks for posting!

Some of us are "old hounds" grew up pushing faders, and never were as comfortable with a mouse/trackball/whatever.

Bri

Yeah I have a cheap B-ringer control surface just so I have some faders to slide while mixing. Doesn't help much with the tracking workflow, though.

I used to mix ITB but got my eyes bleeding and wrist pain mixing with a mouse for days a 90 minutes concert, channel per channel, parameter per parameter....so i got my Mackie Control Universal Pro.

That's everything i need for automation, Multitouch big screen? that's not for me

Don't you sometimes feel weird using tablets, smartphones....?

A little bit of both worlds work best for me.  Lots of key command shortcuts for editing and operations.  But I have a digi command 8 and bank switching faders that react the way I'm hearing it, is a must have for me.  I worked at a facility for years and had a pro control with multi fader packs and a surround pan joysticks Editpack and it was nice but you still use lots of key commands to do a multitude of things.

Even if you draw level lines, I find it nice to ride the sub masters for the final layback for those minor adjustment at the end.  If they are in auto mode it writes the last move for replay.  I have touch something or I go crazy in the control room.

As for the raven,  whatever floats your boat.  I'm not crazy about a big reflective surface in the sweet spot.  It would have a sonic affect on the listening field.  also I notice the fader motion on the volume rides looks like it is behind the motion.  I need it to react like an analog fader or the delay would drive me crazy. 

I played with the raven last aes. There is a slight lag time when you touch but it's like milliseconds, enough to notice but not enough for for the gear sluts to stop looking at the shiny new toy

Betty Crocker meets Minority Report...ITB on a tablet...the only people winning grammys with these things will be the guys voting for themselves as usual...

The whole point of digital was to free people from empire not enslave them again...

We should change the forum name to Rebel Base...

Cakewalks Sonar X2 has been optimized for touch screen tek-naw-low-g...

Well played Mayans, well played...

Back