Analog Theory & Design reference books

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE basic bible of electronic engineers in Germany is "U. Tietze, Ch. Schenk: Halbleiter-Schaltungstechnik".
I personally like "12. Auflage" and "7. Auflage". Don't know about english translations..

THE basic bible of electronic engineers in Germany is "U. Tietze, Ch. Schenk: Halbleiter-Schaltungstechnik".
I personally like "12. Auflage" and "7. Auflage". Don't know about english translations..
The English translation is called "Electronic Circuits: Handbook for Design and Application", 2nd ed, and it is 1543 pages long. I had already mentioned it in one of my previous posts. And you are right, it is a great book. If you buy it hardcover it is prohibitively expensive, but there is a very affordable softcover "International Edition" you can purchase.

A word in defense of the current not-late Jim Williams: he gave me a huge helping hand fixing a design flaw in my Soundcraft Delta 200 which affected how the AUX Send paths worked, as well as correcting the signal path. Although he has a business doing this, he offered the information un-prompted for free through pure generosity (on the now Gearspace). Now my studio is working properly because before that, I wasn't able to hear the effects chain on AUXes properly. He has helped a lot of people like that.

Any of the texts from Jung not in a book can be combined and read as such. Sergio Franco writes good books as well.
Jim Williams helped me with a Soundcraft 200b, and he did an incredible job, his work speaks for itself! I'm really grateful to Jim...

Jim Williams helped me with a Soundcraft 200b, and he did an incredible job, his work speaks for itself! I'm really grateful to Jim...
Great to hear that. I must say, I find it odd that you only have one post (the other is a like), only to give praise to Jim Williams. But perhaps I am being a bit too paranoid.

Great to hear that. I must say, I find it odd that you only have one post (the other is a like), only to give praise to Jim Williams. But perhaps I am being a bit too paranoid.
Jim William's (the one still alive) upgrade work is pretty well respected by his paying customers, judging from complementary posts over on Gearspace.

My only criticism from discussions with him (over there) is perhaps over engineering. If cost is no object, better is always better. ;)

JR

Jim William's (the one still alive) upgrade work is pretty well respected by his paying customers, judging from complementary posts over on Gearspace.
Doesn't mean much to me, most of those kind of clients would probably love the mods even if no mod took place. Can't remember where I listened to a talk and the speaker said that in a blind test they just had a switch to add a "click" at the audio and give the impression that something was being engaged when the audio path was exactly the same and nothing was in there, the blind listeners immediately heard a difference and praised the quality of the mysterious equipment when the switch was "turned" on.
My only criticism from discussions with him (over there) is perhaps over engineering. If cost is no object, better is always better. ;)
well, in some cases yes, in some not, I still think that 2000 V/usec slew rate is not worth it for a Mic pre, even if cost is no object, but that is my own opinion. Oddly enough, I haven't seen Jim in this forum. Perhaps people here are less likely to buy some of the BS like "silver solder is the only way to go" and the sort. In any case, feel free to move or delete this and the other posts which are OT for this thread.

P.S. I haven't been on Gearslutz since even before the name change, and I don't miss it one bit. This forum is 10000X better

Last edited:

JR
I have a modded dbx 161 from Jim, Balanced outputs as well as his standard mods. After hearing it I didn't feel compelled to have my 160vu go through the same mods. Like all things audio it may be technically better but the sonics are always subjective.

For those who can read German, I would suggest the Books from Vogel Fachbuchverlag, see here: Collection. I used Volume 1 ("Elektrotechnische Grundlagen") and Volume 3 ("Grundschaltungen") intensively throughout my apprenticeship. The advantage is, that they only ask for very little maths. Elementary knowledge of algebra is enough, calculus is not required. They target an audience with elementary knowledge of physics and build up from there. They are also relatively affordable. For those with advanced knowledge I go with MicUlli and recommend Tietze/Schenk.

I got this book for xmas and I'm just now getting around to reading it. I thought I understood E pretty well but this book is going to get me to another level. Electrons move through conductors with an average velocity of 0.001 in/s. It's the electric (E and D) and magnetic (H and B) fields that are actually transmitting all signals / information / power in circuits.
Related to this is this interesting video:

which claims that electrons deflected by a current flowing through a wire near by is not because of a generated magnetic field but instead by simple Coulomb's law when you consider the effects of "length contraction" and "time dilation" from Einstein's theory of relativity.

I have 'tangled' with the (alive) Jim Willims in the past and would regard him as an audio 'extremist' although his ideas are basically sound, in the real world much of the time they are of no importance. Modding for 'super fast' performance can (and does) lead to problems. Certainly things become different and possibly 'better' in some respect but are the costs and benefits really significant over a properly functioning piece of original gear? Notice I say properly functioning meaning the parts that can degrade have not yet degraded or have been replaced with suitable parts that fall within the original design remit. Whenever I modify gear it is to reduce unnecessary distortion and noise and moderate frequency response broadening where reducing low end phase shift is often beneficial if it has happened accidentally. Listening to music as it is, and without wishing it was 'better' is the road to dissatisfaction because all of life is undergoing continual change so anything now will be at least a bit different tomorrow, perhaps better or perhaps worse.

Related to this is this interesting video:

which claims that electrons deflected by a current flowing through a wire near by is not because of a generated magnetic field but instead by simple Coulomb's law when you consider the effects of "length contraction" and "time dilation" from Einstein's theory of relativity.

He is good at explaining things simply but I am not sure about that. Coulomb's law does not deal with electric fields, let alone time varying electric/magnetic fields.

He also suggests to dispense with electric field and magnetic field, and only work under the umbrella of electromagnetic field, but really? I have not looked up who he is, but if he is, as a hot-shot physicist's point of view he may prefer to do that reduction but how is that going to work from electrical engineering point of view?

I know this will come as a bit of a shock but perhaps a bit of a historical context is in order here.

When Coulomb carried out his experiment and published his findings the concept of fields did not exist, let alone electric or magnetic fields. Electricity and magnetism were accepted as completely two separate disciplines and there was no connection between the two. So, as far as the force between two points was concerned, the force acted on them and nothing else existed between the two.

The concept of electric and/or magnetic field did not happen until Faraday (a great man). Even then he could not really formulate it which happened with Maxwell (the greatest ever).

So, as far as Coulomb's law goes, it states that the force between two points-objects (in a vacuum) is proportional to the forces on each points, and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two points. That's it. The connection with electric or magnetic field is a later development. Now, the original form of the law is a mathematical tool for us. Replace the force in Coulomb's law with electric field strength, now you are dealing with the electric field between the two points.

So, the claim that electrons deflected by a current flowing through a wire near by is not because of a generated magnetic field but instead by simple Coulomb's law, in my opinion is wrong. Because the original form of the law also does not contain the terms that deal with the effects of "length contraction" and "time dilation" from Einstein's theory of relativity as it is also a (much) later development.

Last edited:
So I'm currently through chapter 4 in James W. Nilsson, Susan Riedel - Electric Circuits, which is the book we're using in the Electrical Circuits subject in the EE bachelor I just started in August. Just learned about Node-Voltage and Mesh-current methods, Thevenin equivalents and using KVL/KCL and ohms law to solve simple circuits. It's all so different than how I've envisioned while cluelessly gazing at the various schematics of stuff I've built... so much more... mathematical o_O

Can't wait to introduce capacitors, opamps and transistors and hopefully start looking at more... interesting/applicable circuits :sneaky:

Some Braunbuch information I learned from radiomuseum that didn’t belong in technical documents.

This is a great article by Nikolaus Rowe. I’m reading it google translated. Here is an excerpt.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/lf/b/braunbuch-beschreibung-ard-irt/

The Braunbuch and the Braunbuch names
In connection with devices of recording studio technology, there is always talk of "brown book" or "brown book descriptions". Devices that are in the brown book are said to have almost mystical properties. But what is the Braunbuch actually, and what do the Braunbuch names mean? The aim of this article is to shed some light on the dark half-darkness of the legend.

NWDR Braunbücher

The NWDR Braunbücher, edition 1959

Most of the time, "brown book" means the NWDR Braunbuch. The NWDR is the Nordwestdeutsche Rundfunk, the first German broadcaster after the 2nd World War and forerunner of ARD.

The NWDR Braunbuch, on the other hand, is based on the RRG Braunbuch: As early as 1930 to 1933, the Reichs-Rundfunk-Gesellschaft introduced a designation of all devices intended for technical operation according to a system of letters and numbers (see also NWDR Braunbuch, Part II "Studiotechnik", Z20). The documents for these devices were collected in folders. After the war, the editor was the NWR Zentraltechnik, so in-house developments of the NWDR were also included.

A brown book extract is a single device description, which is often multi-sided, and contains important service information and circuit diagrams. Braunbuch extracts are also helpful when dating devices, as the operating introduction is noted on it. For complex devices, there are individual descriptions for the components, e.g. the tape drive AEG K4, as well as the magnetic heads, recording and playback amplifiers, and the power supply.

….
In addition to the documents in Part I ("device descriptions"), which are usually meant when one speaks abbreviated of the "brown book", there is also the folder Part II ("studio technology"), which contains information on the setup and operation of complete studio systems. These include construction guidelines for studio systems, metrological terms, level diagram, information on the broadcasting line network, radio protection, but also the organization of the NWDR. This later became the technical guidelines of the ARD, which are still often used as a basis for tenders today, also because there is no other set of rules that deals so comprehensively with the technical aspects of studio system construction. Part III of the NWDR brown book is about transmitter technology.

The brown books are not fixed bound books in the true sense, but loose-leaf collections in the characteristic colored folders. It was planned to update them regularly, whereby outdated descriptions or those of decommissioned devices were also excluded. In a well-maintained brown book, the leaves for devices that were taken over from the pre-war period after the war are therefore missing, because they were usually replaced by new developments in the course of the 1950s. Example: The Neumann bottle B-V30.”

Read much much more at the link!

Some Braunbuch information I learned from radiomuseum that didn’t belong in technical documents.

This is a great article by Nikolaus Rowe. I’m reading it google translated. Here is an excerpt.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/lf/b/braunbuch-beschreibung-ard-irt/

The Braunbuch and the Braunbuch names
In connection with devices of recording studio technology, there is always talk of "brown book" or "brown book descriptions". Devices that are in the brown book are said to have almost mystical properties. But what is the Braunbuch actually, and what do the Braunbuch names mean? The aim of this article is to shed some light on the dark half-darkness of the legend.

NWDR Braunbücher

The NWDR Braunbücher, edition 1959

Most of the time, "brown book" means the NWDR Braunbuch. The NWDR is the Nordwestdeutsche Rundfunk, the first German broadcaster after the 2nd World War and forerunner of ARD.

The NWDR Braunbuch, on the other hand, is based on the RRG Braunbuch: As early as 1930 to 1933, the Reichs-Rundfunk-Gesellschaft introduced a designation of all devices intended for technical operation according to a system of letters and numbers (see also NWDR Braunbuch, Part II "Studiotechnik", Z20). The documents for these devices were collected in folders. After the war, the editor was the NWR Zentraltechnik, so in-house developments of the NWDR were also included.

A brown book extract is a single device description, which is often multi-sided, and contains important service information and circuit diagrams. Braunbuch extracts are also helpful when dating devices, as the operating introduction is noted on it. For complex devices, there are individual descriptions for the components, e.g. the tape drive AEG K4, as well as the magnetic heads, recording and playback amplifiers, and the power supply.

….
In addition to the documents in Part I ("device descriptions"), which are usually meant when one speaks abbreviated of the "brown book", there is also the folder Part II ("studio technology"), which contains information on the setup and operation of complete studio systems. These include construction guidelines for studio systems, metrological terms, level diagram, information on the broadcasting line network, radio protection, but also the organization of the NWDR. This later became the technical guidelines of the ARD, which are still often used as a basis for tenders today, also because there is no other set of rules that deals so comprehensively with the technical aspects of studio system construction. Part III of the NWDR brown book is about transmitter technology.

The brown books are not fixed bound books in the true sense, but loose-leaf collections in the characteristic colored folders. It was planned to update them regularly, whereby outdated descriptions or those of decommissioned devices were also excluded. In a well-maintained brown book, the leaves for devices that were taken over from the pre-war period after the war are therefore missing, because they were usually replaced by new developments in the course of the 1950s. Example: The Neumann bottle B-V30.”

Read much much more at the link!
I put this background I found on the Brown Books in this thread to allow for conversation about the BOOKS, what is, or not in them, and how we might do getting copies of the not posted material going forward.

In technical documents I tried to describe the specific document I was posting, which I believe is the full index .pdf in case the copy I borrowed from becomes unavailable.

This is pretty neat and we might be able to “ask a librarian” or “ask a Postdammer” for a little help with what we know.

Hi user 37518, it's a pleasure to greet you... if you're sorry, I'm not the most participative guy on the networks, I think it's a bit difficult for me, little by little I'm breaking the ice... and as you'll see, my response is late, sorry jijiji...

Latest posts

Back