Analog Theory & Design reference books

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Several books from the 70s, perhaps a little dated but the laws of physics have not change.
-"Grounding and Shielding techniques in Instrumentation" Ralph Morrison
-"Noise reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems" Henry W Ott
-"Low Noise Electronic Design" Motchenbacher and Fitchen
-"Burr Brown Operational Amplifiers Design and Application" Tobey, Graeme, Huelsman

A more popular read a friend gifted me
-"Analog Circuit Design art, science, and personalities." edited by (the real) Jim Williams

A book written by a friend of mine...
-"The Audio expert- Everything you need to know about Audio" Ethan Winer... I helped proofread this before publication

Last edited:
Audio Cyclopedia - Tremaine
2nd Edition here: Audio Cyclopedia 2nd.pdf

Radiotron Designer's Handbook, Fourth Ed. - Langford-Smith
http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/RDH4.pdf
The Recording and Reproduction of Sound - Read
http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/read_recording.pdf
I'll definitely second those! I'd like to add that anything by Norman Crowhurst is well worth reading if tubes are a primary area of interest to you. He was a highly prolific writer, and left us with a few dozen volumes of his vast knowledge. The man was a true genius, IMO.

Kevin O'Connor's "Ultimate Tone" series are must-read volumes if you're into guitar amps.

I'm actually getting ready to teach myself how to build an EQ circuit. I gather you would recommend this?
I had a nagging feeling that I wasn't 100% correct, and I finally went and dug into my bookshelf. Turns out the book that's great for building EQ circuits is the Active-Filter Cookbook by Don Lancaster. I do have the Jung book but it doesn't get into filters and EQ circuits.

I have a copy of Lancaster's original book I bought back in the 70's or 80's. I have not directly compared it to the free PDF Don has posted on his website, but a quick glance of the PDF seemed quite familiar. When I return from out of town trip, I'll examine both the original book and the PDF and see how similar they are.

But, hey....free is free!

Bri

I had a nagging feeling that I wasn't 100% correct, and I finally went and dug into my bookshelf. Turns out the book that's great for building EQ circuits is the Active-Filter Cookbook by Don Lancaster. I do have the Jung book but it doesn't get into filters and EQ circuits.

I did have a look at the pdf, and yes, I found it very helpful. Just the information I needed. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing everyone! These are awesome!

I dont think its available for free (although you can find a pdf if you search hard enough), but a book I have been really enjoying as a newbie is Practical Electronics for Inventors 4th Ed. Has a good combination of theory and practical applications for starting out learning. I had read a couple different electronics books before this one, but they were all theory, i.e. how a capacitor works but nothing about what you would use it for. Anyways, for advanced people this book probably isnt necessary, but it has been very helpful to me.

edited by (the real) Jim Williams
A word in defense of the current not-late Jim Williams: he gave me a huge helping hand fixing a design flaw in my Soundcraft Delta 200 which affected how the AUX Send paths worked, as well as correcting the signal path. Although he has a business doing this, he offered the information un-prompted for free through pure generosity (on the now Gearspace). Now my studio is working properly because before that, I wasn't able to hear the effects chain on AUXes properly. He has helped a lot of people like that.

Any of the texts from Jung not in a book can be combined and read as such. Sergio Franco writes good books as well.

Audio Systems Design and Installation​

by Philip Giddings

When I first started building recording spaces all the books I read referenced this one in the bibliography. It deals with how to wire a space in all aspects power and audio. It was being printed again by a company in Canada I think. The hardcover if you have it actually goes for ridiculous money sadly

Audio Systems Design and Installation​

by Philip Giddings

When I first started building recording spaces all the books I read referenced this one in the bibliography. It deals with how to wire a space in all aspects power and audio. It was being printed again by a company in Canada I think. The hardcover if you have it actually goes for ridiculous money sadly
That is one of my favorites, there is an independent re-print, the used ones on Amazon are sometimes sold for a fortune.

I still refer to the "Art of Electronics" Horowitz & Hill, from time to time. I'll also second Kevin O'Connors "Ultimate Tone" books. There is a lot of errors in those, but at the time I don't believe there was anything else to assist us "guitar amp hackers" with hot rodding tube amps.

Back