ANALOG VU METERS... any options ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wondered, but never e-mailed to ask: does Hoyt have a minimum order quantity? Do you order direct from them, or do you have to find a retailer?

I have some NOS VU meters marked "TN73". Unfortunately, there's no branding, but they are "made in Japan". These date back to the late seventies.

I've spent many hours on Google's picture search trying to figure out the brand. It's impossible.

My guess is mine are Nissei.

But I'm also certain that today, this niche market is full of rebranded items. The "TN73" nomer not only yields very different sizes and designs (judging from the pics), but also very different values (from 0.1 to 100 mA, with most at 10 mA).

I also have some that read "30V/1A" on the scale. Very different looks, same internals.

So I don't worry, which keeps me happy  :)

The driver circuit will compensate, if done right...

cyrano said:
I have some NOS VU meters marked "TN73". Unfortunately, there's no branding, but they are "made in Japan". These date back to the late seventies.

I've spent many hours on Google's picture search trying to figure out the brand. It's impossible.

My guess is mine are Nissei.

But I'm also certain that today, this niche market is full of rebranded items. The "TN73" nomer not only yields very different sizes and designs (judging from the pics), but also very different values (from 0.1 to 100 mA, with most at 10 mA).

I also have some that read "30V/1A" on the scale. Very different looks, same internals.

So I don't worry, which keeps me happy  :)

The driver circuit will compensate, if done right...

Have you tried contacting Nissei to ask?

Do you think anyone at Nissei would remember one of their many products from the seventies? Especially since Nissei is foremost a trading company with many, many rebranded products?

Back