Another "shrinkflation"?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember my Dad making Salmon pies when I was a kid.... I guess it had potatoes in it too. Pretty good stuff iirc....
Wow...my wife (RIP) used to make what she called Salmon Patties. Canned salmon, but I also recall the recipe included grated potatoes and onions and Other Tasty Stuff. Fried in an Lodge iron skillet.

Bri

We call them fish cakes. When we make then we par boil potatoes whole and then grate or rice them hot into the mixture. Par-boiling whole (with skins on) seems to provide a slight glutinous consistency which I like. I often make a smoked trout pie (wife's favourite) which has potatoes, lots of parsley, white sauce (with cheese) and hard oiled eggs quartered. sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake.

The salmon meal I make didn't use any potatoes this time, but I have thrown in some sweet potato in past batches. I use lots of vegetables; bell Pepper, two different kinds of onions, broccoli, canned corn, rice, and some cream of onion condensed soup. [edit- and carrots /edit]

I first slow cook the frozen salmon for two hours on low, then add in all the vegetables and cook for 6 more hours on simmer. Cooking the vegetables this way (long and low) maintains a nice crunchy texture and flavor.

JR

Last edited:
Just had North Atlantic Salmon from Costco last night. It tasted great. I always get good salmon from Costco. The salmon from Sams never taste fresh to me. I’ve had salmon up in Victoria Canada that was fresh salmon and was great but we love the Costco salmon as well. Hey it’s Colorado.

I've enjoyed a few salmon meals in restaurants, but never in Mississippi. The one time I purchased some never-frozen salmon steaks in a local supermarket I was disappointed by the fact that the salmon smelled more like it was never-refrigerated. 🤔
Modern flash-freezing technology has advanced in leaps and bounds in the years since the general public's minds were set on what the words "frozen food" mean. Sure, if it's from a (reputable) restaurant or fish vendor, the fresh stuff is probably better, but if it's been kicked around the supermarket supply chain I would go for frozen over "fresh" any day.

Back