Antidepressants and the maggots of the mind

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Mother's little helpers" to keep the rabble sedated.

JR

WWW said:
However, all antidepressants in the United States carry a warning that they are associated with an increased risk of suicidality in adults age 18 to 24 years during initial treatment (generally the first one to two months) [ 4 ]. Suicidality includes suicidal ideation, action to prepare for an attempt, attempt or nonfatal self-harm, or death.

Right on.
Wrong. Doctors are supposed to treat individuals, not mass statistical distributions or databases. Use the data, but do the hard diagnostic work to determine the actual underlying problem or problems before jumping to solutions. Far too many docs are lazy and just prescribe pills for ills.

I have close family members who have had similar experiences to David's relative. It is untrue to say these drugs are not addictive as many are. And when the doc precribes 5, 6, 7 drugs for various problems the unknown drug interactions come into play. I lost a grandfather to off-label use of seroquel in a situation specifically warned against on the label. It was a horrible situation yet these things continue to happen.

My ex wife was having trouble sleeping some 15 years ago and was prescribed Ambien. She would thrash around in her sleep, carry on conversations, get up and walk around the house and remember none of it in the morning. It made her condition worse and was hard to quit.

I'm very sorry to hear about your relative, David. It is deeply troubling to me to hear these stories. It's just terrible. The Hippocratic Oath is dead.

Wrong. Doctors are supposed to treat individuals, not mass statistical distributions or databases. Use the data, but do the hard diagnostic work to determine the actual underlying problem or problems before jumping to solutions. Far too many docs are lazy and just prescribe pills for ills.
It should be no secret that I am critical of the medical community. It's like mechanics working on self repairing cars. If still alive come back in 6 months and we'll try again.

Patients are responsible in part for not being happy unless they get a scrip... This why we see so many TV commercials pimping prescription drugs. I guess viewers ignore all the warnings, as if people need to be told not to take medicines that they are allergic to. :rolleyes: .
I have close family members who have had similar experiences to David's relative. It is untrue to say these drugs are not addictive as many are. And when the doc precribes 5, 6, 7 drugs for various problems the unknown drug interactions come into play. I lost a grandfather to off-label use of seroquel in a situation specifically warned against on the label. It was a horrible situation yet these things continue to happen.

My ex wife was having trouble sleeping some 15 years ago and was prescribed Ambien. She would thrash around in her sleep, carry on conversations, get up and walk around the house and remember none of it in the morning. It made her condition worse and was hard to quit.

I'm very sorry to hear about your relative, David. It is deeply troubling to me to hear these stories. It's just terrible. The Hippocratic Oath is dead.
This is probably just another discipline that social media has corrupted with too much discussion and not enough intelligence.

JR

It should be no secret that I am critical of the medical community. It's like mechanics working on self repairing cars. If still alive come back in 6 months and we'll try again.
Ha

Patients are responsible in part for not being happy unless they get a scrip... This why we see so many TV commercials pimping prescription drugs. I guess viewers ignore all the warnings, as if people need to be told not to take medicines that they are allergic to. :rolleyes: .
The wonders of psychological manipulation by direct marketing. The original law that allowed this in 1985 required all potential side effects to be listed, so most ads were in print. Rules weakened in 1997 by lobbying (and possible inside help) made 30 sec TV ads possible.

This is probably just another discipline that social media has corrupted with too much discussion and not enough intelligence.

JR
Not sure what you mean about social media corruption of docs. General moral decay in society is a likely factor.

Ha

The wonders of psychological manipulation by direct marketing. The original law that allowed this in 1985 required all potential side effects to be listed, so most ads were in print. Rules weakened in 1997 by lobbying (and possible inside help) made 30 sec TV ads possible.
Just to be clear, are you saying it is legal to advertise prescription drugs on US TV?

Cheers

Ian

Just to be clear, are you saying it is legal to advertise prescription drugs on US TV?

Cheers

Ian
There are always two sides to this... a benefit from increased awareness, and the downside of patients pestering doctors for easy remedies. Of course the doctors get to send the patients away happy with a get betta scrip...not to mention some placebo effect from the ads. I do not mean to stereotype doctors, just that it is an influence they have to manage.

I unfortunately watch too much TV, or at least have one turned on in the background a lot. Sadly I try to ignore the vast majority of them but my subconscious often listens even when I am actively trying to ignore it. I use a DVR to fast forward through commercials when I am not too busy to gong them. But often when writing I just zone out. It is remarkable that anyone would ever take medicine after hearing the list of side effects. My favorite warning, is don't take medicine if you are allergic to it... duh. ;)

JR

Yeap, I've seen them "Ask your doctor if Cocaine is the right treatment for you...."
Actually, as I said years ago when this line first appeared in commercials, "Ask your insurance if this is right for you", since it is health "insurance" that determines if it will be covered, whether or not the doctor thinks it is right.

Interesting read, thanks. Shows that greed and corruption are present in all human endeavors. At least science tries to weed it out.

Actually, as I said years ago when this line first appeared in commercials, "Ask your insurance if this is right for you", since it is health "insurance" that determines if it will be covered, whether or not the doctor thinks it is right.
Sneaky

Interesting read, thanks. Shows that greed and corruption are present in all human endeavors. At least science tries to weed it out.
Medical science as "directed" by NIH is fundamentally broken. It is no longer science at all. And the regulatory agencies are bought. You can thank career bureaucrats for that.

Medical science as "directed" by NIH is fundamentally broken. It is no longer science at all. And the regulatory agencies are bought. You can thank career bureaucrats for that.
The tree is not broken but the branch is bent to favor specific pursuits. As long as the scientific method is adhered too we are still in the realm of science.

JR

Latest posts

Back