Any insides on TC electronics?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyraf

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Anyone of you know if something is happening to our local TC electronic?

At the Frankfurt messe, there was a hardlived rumor that they were getting sold/taken over.

The strange (and slightly scary) thing is that one of the "in the know" people I talked to described it as "A destiny worse than Harman".

I confess that this notion upsets me. Signature related.

What could this possibly be about?

Jakob E.

Buying a 2290 in the 80's made me a fan for life!

Is this a combination of splitting the pie too many ways with the race for the bottom ?
The high end places have the right mark up over volume ratio?  how does manley survive?

I think I read on GS that the founder/owner was retiring and is trying to sell it.

images

they did move from the original copying other products to doing it more cheaply to
just making it look like they're copying something better when it's not even

How has Midas fared ? I'd hate to see them destroy the tc brand & line ...........

All tc will become vintage and go up in price now , uli would get points if they brought back
the rackmount 1210 chorus though

well this begs the question who would be worse to work under Harmon or uli?

I am leaning towards harmon then tend to gut, strip and drop support.

Uli seems to keep the companies intact.  hmmmmmmmm wonder how this will pan out.

pucho812 said:
well this begs the question who would be worse to work under Harmon or uli?
If you don't want to live in China maybe pick Harmon but I suspect they have a significant presence in China too
I am leaning towards harmon then tend to gut, strip and drop support.

Uli seems to keep the companies intact.  hmmmmmmmm wonder how this will pan out.

I've seen these from both sides (kinda Peavey bought Crest while I was there) and my impression is that he has handled Midas better than most value whales swallowing up a premium fish. Some of the  brands under TC seem pretty iconic so assimilation may be a little harder.

We are quickly loosing diversity, it will be interesting to see but I am glad I am no longer swimming in that pond (swamp).

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I've seen these from both sides (kinda Peavey bought Crest while I was there) and my impression is that he has handled Midas better than most value whales swallowing up a premium fish.

This was my first thought, too.
Look at the X-32 which you can see almost everywhere these days.
I was quite suprised to see the Midas M32 as a follow up.

To me it seems that Uli is not just buying companies. Especially on Midas it is good to see that they can continue with 'their' range of products + the benefit of having acces to 'cheaper' manufacturing for their 'lower line' items.

Most likely the same will happen to TC. We will almost certainly see some FX algorithms from TC on Behringers X-Line. But the high end products from TC will remain under the known TC Brand. The System 6000 for example is is well accepted in the industry. Uli is smart enough to not ignore this as he did with Midas...

I only hope the mid size TC units will get a reliable power supply soon.  ::)
... Shouldn't be too difficult to built something better than the existing ones...  ;)

Not to forget Tannoy, Dynaudio, Lab Gruppen which are also members of the TC Group...
Probably we will see some usable monitors under the Behringer brand in the future... :-X

chefducuisine said:
JohnRoberts said:
I've seen these from both sides (kinda Peavey bought Crest while I was there) and my impression is that he has handled Midas better than most value whales swallowing up a premium fish.

This was my first thought, too.
Look at the X-32 which you can see almost everywhere these days.
I was quite suprised to see the Midas M32 as a follow up.
Actually not surprising. Many pro users can't spec the X32 because of riders, or just snobbishness. The dolled up X32 with just enough Midas-like features to differentiate it from the value product will excuse professional customers to buy it.

In a large conglomerate like that it is best practices to share technology platforms across all divisions... Think GM using similar engine/transmission technology in Chevy, Cadillac, and Corvette. from a marketing POV it would be stronger to pop the new technology in the high brand first. Then let it filter down to the value brand, but IIRC Behringer did not own Midas yet when they started the X-32 program, but did involve Midas engineers during the late stages. .
To me it seems that Uli is not just buying companies. Especially on Midas it is got to see that they continue with 'their' range of products + the benefit of having acces to 'cheaper' manufacturing for their 'lower line' items.
It is only natural for there to be some deterioration of the premium brands image, first by new ownership, then secondly by the inevitable price decreases when they consolidate manufacturing. (If it's cheaper it can't be as good...  ::) ) this is the marketing tightrope that multiple brand managers need to balance. At the end of the day the real money is still in the value brand, so optics will try to make it look like they are completely separate, but I expect some erosion of premium brands used as a line leader to pull through more value sales.  Hard to milk both cows at the same time without losing some milk.  8)
Most likely the same will happen to TC. We will almost certainly see some FX algorithms from TC on Behringers X-Line. But the high end products from TC will remain under the known TC Brand. The System 6000 for example is is well accepted in the industry. Uli is smart enough to not ignore this as he did with Midas...

I only hope the mid size TC units will get a reliable power supply soon.  ::)
... Shouldn't be too difficult to built something better than the existing ones...  ;)

Not to forget Tannoy, Dynaudio, Lab Gruppen which are also members of the TC Group...
Probably we will see some usable monitors under the Behringer brand in the future... :-X

it will be interesting to see how the new engineering talent gets re-purposed. It doesn't make sense to keep several small engineering teams unless their technology is that unique or esoteric. In general they will all benefit from being consolidated. Keeping senior design talent will not be trivial, but those companies are already on their second set of parents so the most skittish horses may have already left the barn. . 

JR

Back