Any Word On RDl Stick-On Modules?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auxren

Apologies if this isn’t the right place to ask. I’ve seen the Stick-On modules from RDL around for a bit. They seem to have a bunch of these modules that have screw terminals for wires and are essently just blocks that do different functional things like mic pres, VCA, line amps, passive splitters, etc. :

Anyone ever try any of them and have some experience with them? How do they sound? Would they make for good building blocks for something like an application specific mixer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago I was designing/installing odd-ball corporate facilities: video conference rooms, multi-media presentation rooms, etc.

I used many RDL "stick on" modules for specific requirements in those projects. They worked quite well, but....we weren't recording the next Paul McCartney album....lol.

As for pricing, I could have spent weeks designing my own solutions and "manufacturing" what was required. RDL modules solved specific requirements because I was spending OPM (Other Peoples' Money) to get the project completed in a short time frame.

I have no complaints about RDL in my applications.

Bri

As a broadcast engineer and system contractor, I have been using the Stick-On series units for over 30 years. I can honestly say that there has never been a failure of any of them, so if reliability is a gauge of quality, they are tops. As to sound quality-in the applications I've used them in, no complaints from the client. There are many different models that will do similar things, if I'm not sure I just call them and the very good customer support will figure out the part number. The prices may seem high, but you get what you pay for.

Has anyone ever opened a Stick-on module? I have a preamp module that I use for talkback and it seems an assistant turned the trimmer pot past the breaking point. I would rather not send this in for service, so I'd like to figure out how to open it without destroying it and replace the pot myself.

Has anyone ever opened a Stick-on module?
I have, but not for a preamp module. Highly not recommended if the part you need to adjust happens to be epoxy'd inside. The hard plastic needs to be snapped off and then you have to dig out the epoxy if it happens to cover the thing you need. Maybe there's some technique to get the casing off non-destructively but I never figured a way. I'm guessing these things are set and forget. Maybe because it's an adjustable part you might be able to dremel around the area and if you're lucky it wont be sealed and you could glue the cover back afterwards.

Last edited:
I have, but not for a preamp module. Highly not recommended if the part you need to adjust happens to be epoxy'd inside. The hard plastic needs to be snapped off and then you have to dig out the epoxy if it happens to cover the thing you need. Maybe there's some technique to get the casing off non-destructively but I never figured a way. I'm guessing these things are set and forget.
That's what I figured - built and potted into the case. The RDL website seems to be down or gone. I was hoping they could help before I throw away this device that is really trivial to repair.

Throwing it away seems a bit OTT if you can put up with it being a little more DIY-looking after the facelift ;)

Try RDL Homepage. Site is still up. I've used many of the Stick-On units. Also never had to replace one. No one has ever complained about the sound. They are expensive but again, you get (most of) what you pay for.

Back