Anyone able to repair vintage Schoeps CMT 55N?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outoftune

A client is looking for someone to repair their Schoeps CMT 55N, they have a pair and one of the two is noisy.

I've contacted the North American distributor for Schoeps and they are unable to repair these mics as is the Schoeps factory.

If anyone here has experience or knows of a repair shop that can fix these please let me know.

Last edited:
If the problem is not related to the capsule the circuit can be easily fixed.
You can try Mic Rehab:
https://www.facebook.com/Micrehab/

But if the capsule is shot then only Schoeps themselves will be able to fix it,
here is the Schopes service info:

https://schoeps.de/en/support-service/service.html
I would definitely recommend you to send the mic to Schoeps for service
Schoeps doesn't service (most of, maybe all) the CMT mics anymore. Is there any reason somebody else couldn't reskin the capsule with appropriate equipment?

Since one of them is noisy, first thing to do is to swap capsules in order to determine wether it's the capsule of the preamp that's faulty.
Sometimes, just cleaning the highZ area is enough...

If the culprit is the capsule, there's no solution. The 55 is a switchable omni/cardioid, but the switch is mechanical. There's a plastic piece inside that becomes brittle with age and it breaks. Schoeps doesn't manufacture this part anymore, hence those capsules cannot be fixed.

I'm not sure of the exact model, but I serviced about a half dozen Schoeps mics back in 2019. There was one I couldn't get open because the case was dented, but the others responded well to treatment.
Further to this, I found my notes. They were CMC-5-u. Notes say: "Check over, tighten screws that ground PCB to body, clean point of contact with alcohol prep pad". Several of them needed to have a 47uf/63v axial cap re-soldered, in some cases because it had completely broken loose from the board.

Latest posts

Back