Anyone ever used a cloud lifter?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's a phantom powered preamp that goes between the mic pre and a passive mic(passive mic like  adynamic and or regular ribbon). it adds extra gain coming off the mic before the mic pre.  I don't know if it works  or is designed to work with condenser mics, tube mics or any other active(requiring phantom) microphones. I also doubt one needs it for dynamic mics as usually, most people put loud sound sources on dynamics like drums, bass and guitars, etc.

There was a design floating around here a while back that converted your average passive ribbon mic into an active ribbon mic via a phantom powered preamp that was the size of a quarter. It added 13dB of signal off the mic before the mic pre. I have a schemo of anyone is interested and if layed out right could fit inside 99.9% of the ribbon mics out there.

usekgb said:
RODE makes something similar to that that actually fits inside the body of the mic.  I threw one in a 57, and it works really well.

Cheers,
Zach

a couple of questions.
1. what is the model #, part number?
2. what was the need/reason for using that with an SM57?

the one floating round here was this one. could easily point to point or bread board this one. If anyone wants to layout in either fashion do drop me a copy ;)

Attachments

• arp_scheme copy.jpg
    arp_scheme copy.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 444
pucho812 said:
usekgb said:
RODE makes something similar to that that actually fits inside the body of the mic.  I threw one in a 57, and it works really well.

Cheers,
Zach

a couple of questions.
1. what is the model #, part number?
2. what was the need/reason for using that with an SM57?

It was the RODE D-Power.  It doesn't look like they make it anymore, sorry for suggesting it.  I put it in a few years ago and have no idea what the schematic is like.  Anyway, I had a 57 that I had removed the transformer from.  I got a D-Power cheap, and decided to throw it in.  It's a good, versatile mic, and sounds great on percussion and vocals.  Here's a pic:

Cheers,
Zach

Attachments

• 392816.jpg
    392816.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 127
The active ribbon pre circuit above works well, i regularly use it on our ribbons, plus its helpful on RE-20's.
I've a pcb layout that will fit in a standard hammond guitar pedal box if anyone wants a copy.. (actually u can fit two per box)

Possibly the cloud lifter is a two stage version of the same circuit, that would give the +25dB.
i think this is the main ribbon booster thread http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5743.0

I haven't needed a booster yet for my SM7, but I usually use it with my Baby Animal pre, which has LOADS of gain.    How transparent is the active ribbon pre?  Does it clip easily?  It might be a fun afternoon project to build one and see how it works, especially if it is small enough to fit in a small Hammond enclosure.

Cheers,
Zach

mrclunk said:
The active ribbon pre circuit above works well, i regularly use it on our ribbons, plus its helpful on RE-20's.
I've a pcb layout that will fit in a standard hammond guitar pedal box if anyone wants a copy.. (actually u can fit two per box)

Possibly the cloud lifter is a two stage version of the same circuit, that would give the +25dB.
i think this is the main ribbon booster thread http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5743.0

I'll take one.

Think its very transparent but i've not done exhaustive tests..
Use high quality caps for C1, C2. Panasonic FM , FC etc.

Here's my Eagle files for the prr ribbon booster and a pcb pdf.
(rename to .zip)
This was my first pcb layout so its not great...
First thing i would do is swap the in and out xlr conns round.

Attachments

• prr ribbon pre sch pcb.doc
    83.8 KB · Views: 142
Back