Anyone recoginse this channel amplifier

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dax

I have the privilege to work on some of these neve style channel amplifiers for a friend at 5th street studios here in Austin.  See pics at link below

They came out of a  "1972 *Custom 80 series SBC Neve console"  * Custom means the diy channel amps someone outfitted to the board *
and appear to be someones DIY job.  Maybe the previous owner of that console???

the circuit is close to the 1081 but do not use the same pin- out.  it is using an Ne5532 opamp to drive the o/p transformer.  the one shown has a Beyerdynamic in transformer for the mic section.  Most have a Marinar and i have added a few Carnhills sourced from AML to the Line inputs...

I have found a bunch of helpful diagnostic and neve resources at the Ten81 project site and technical audios site.  In case you are wondering, most of the problems i am finding are incorrect capacitor values and faulty connections. 

https://picasaweb.google.com/103114693802257061723/1081Pics?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLP35cn7v9KnzQE&feat=directlink

Also I added a few pics of the collet knob and the "frequency select" silver knob as I am looking for a few to replace a missing set. 

thanks again

I think 'style' is as near as this module comes to being Neve. I was there in '72 and that module looks nothing at all like what came out of the Neve factory at that time. The switches are wrong, the pots are wrong, the knobs are wrong and the PCBs are wrong. This is somebody's attempt at a clone and I would advise you that genuine Neve information is unlikely to apply to this module.

Cheers

Ian

looks more like a shep then a Neve.

http://www.shep.co.uk/shep.htm

intropd.jpg

The opamp cards resemble some Neve cards I saw once...but other than that Ian is right, that thing looks unlike anything Neve that I've ever seen. I like the 12 position lorlins instead of 24 position elmas...

Any pics of the console?

the knobs do very much look like sheps, all though i see no marking of their brand anywhere on them. 
The circuit boards look home etched; no solder mask etc... no markings of origin.  Some of the chassis have '95 written in sharpie on them, so i am guessing circa 1995?

the frequency select values printed seem to match the 1081 and the amp circuit looks like a ba440 with one ba640

the lorlins have been dis-assembled with an .125" hole drilled through them to accomadate a metal (small blade flat head screw driver) and then re-assembled tediously with the ball bearings and spring put back. the shaft is attached to the collet knob and  the pot shaft to control gain.

A very clever yet tedious process if the shaft is backed out of the lorlin ... bummer... i had to replicate a few missing assemblies for a module :(

Just seeing if anyone knew off or recognized someone's (possibly in this community) handy work.  32 of these was no small undertaking...

dax said:
the knobs do very much look like sheps, all though i see no marking of their brand anywhere on them. 
The circuit boards look home etched; no solder mask etc... no markings of origin.  Some of the chassis have '95 written in sharpie on them, so i am guessing circa 1995?

From the Shep website linked above:

A pre production prototype will be shown at the AES show in New York on the Shep booth 1140. The new equaliser will be in production early 1998.

So maybe proto-Shep?

ambitious diy.

check out the dual concentricity...i always wonder if it is worth the trouble to custom shoe-horn like this...gambling on reliability.

it is fun though as diy

The trick with the lorlins & pots it's really crazy.

Is it really worth just to "look like"? It depends of the builder, I know, but seems a bit excessive for me.

This is funny, I was reading this thread yesterday and looking at the pics, later I was lurking secondhand sales and found some Shep compressors offered as "the same used in Neve boards" here in mi town.

Love when people claims NEVE just for the old looking (not the first time, the same happened months ago with some chanelstrips).

I was not talking about shep, I just knew that brand yesterday so I don't really know anything about them.

What I was meaning is, in the second hand market, many times with "not so popular brand" old gear sellers claim "Inspired in Neve" "Neve style" and that kind of cheap marketing, actually I see it more often in spanish webs

Back