Anyone use freecad ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

I just downloaded Freecad because I need to design a part to get 3d printed for an MCI console. I did learn autocad years ago at a college, but I'm really struggling to get anything out of this at all despite viewing some youtube tutorials. It seems like there are a lot of different ways to create the drawing/model & I'm not really sure which is the right one for me. I could really do with some pointers if anyone can help please ?

I just downloaded Freecad because I need to design a part to get 3d printed for an MCI console. I did learn autocad years ago at a college, but I'm really struggling to get anything out of this at all despite viewing some youtube tutorials. It seems like there are a lot of different ways to create the drawing/model & I'm not really sure which is the right one for me. I could really do with some pointers if anyone can help please ?
Hi,

I use freecad for all my 3d drawings. I'm far from being an expert but i'd be happy to help. What exactly do you struggle with?

Thomas

Go to the autocad site - find fusion360 - sign up for a free year. ohhhhh maybe they dont have a free year anymore.

Is it a complicated part? If it is not too crazy - send the drawing to me, and I will just create a file in fusion360 and send it to you.

-Tony

P.S. I am older than my picture. lol

Hi,

I use freecad for all my 3d drawings. I'm far from being an expert but i'd be happy to help. What exactly do you struggle with?

Thomas
Thanks for the responses. I am trying to get a model for the aluminium extrusion on this light meter board. It appears it was specially made for this job. I have made some pcb's to max out the meters on a console that was short loaded in the meter department. I was thinking to get the extrusion 3d printed in plastic and then maybe glue some foil in it for reflective purposes. This would appear to be a very simple thing to model, but i'm really struggling with the learning curve. I guess now I'm a bit older I'm not picking things up so quickly.

Attachments

• lightmeter extrusion.jpg
    lightmeter extrusion.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Hi,

Thomas
Thanks for the response. I know fusion 360 seems to be the program that all the CNC people use, but I'm trying to avoid having software that I will eventtually end up having to pay a subscription for. If you see my response above you can see what I am trying to model. I don't think it's very difficult, but since i am no longer up to speed on CAD software I'm really scratching my head with it.

The key is to understand you remove the negative space from a cube, block, cylinder, cone etc.
Start with the block of total overall dimensions and then create a block matching the dimensions of the space between the fins(keep notes) and remove all the "space" blocks...create a cylinder matching the negative space curve and the remove them...I do it one at a time

That's one way to do it,

Since it's a repeatable process, i would just sketch one of those fins, extrude and then perform a linear repetition. There's many ways to skin that cat.

Thomas

Or make a sketch of the cross-section in Part Design and pad it. Of course, linear repetition is faster...
I use FreeCAD for sketching all sorts of prototypes that I then print in clear PLA, seal with wax and cast in bronze or aluminium. Though I wouldn't consider myself an expert (at CAD at any rate;-). I guess we all find our unique ways to get stuff done.

It might be. It's a parametric 3D modeler. Probably not as good as good as any paid alternative but it's free and open-source.

It's quite capable, and sufficient for hobbyist like me. I use it to model 3d prints, check mechanical assembly of my builds as well as generating CAM jobs for my CNC.

Thomas

I regularly export dwg's for the lasercutters and watercutters. Works great.
Heavy development means it's important to get the lastest build. Stability and features have improved greatly over the past 5 years or so.

Happy tinkering
Viggo

I use FreeCad for about 1 year+ now.
For a -complex- design where I need a lot of room/mechanical check
I don't use yet any export format for manufacturing so I can't say, but I draw DXF for most of the part (in Qcad), so design data are available.
The learning curve and mindset to use it was a pain, never really use any 3D cad before that (except blender long time ago) so I can't compare.

Cheers
Zam

Guys, have you try Nanocad 5.0 (totaly free version without any restrictions). Its similar to autocad lite. There it's also Doublecad (free).
For 3d you can use tools on Blender or thinkercad (fast tool).
Another 2d option its Inkscape. There is a extension for it to export in gcode.

I had issues with nanocad registration process so was a no go for me. Draftsight was imo the best 2D alternative..... Until they pulled the rug.

Thanks for the responses. I am trying to get a model for the aluminium extrusion on this light meter board. It appears it was specially made for this job. I have made some pcb's to max out the meters on a console that was short loaded in the meter department. I was thinking to get the extrusion 3d printed in plastic and then maybe glue some foil in it for reflective purposes. This would appear to be a very simple thing to model, but i'm really struggling with the learning curve. I guess now I'm a bit older I'm not picking things up so quickly.
Is there a Part Number for this device? Or, can you come up with some form of a mechanical detail drawing similar to the attached PDF file (as a reference for you)? I realize that you and I are on opposite sides of "The Pond", but.....I have a buddy here in the U.S. who lives down in Florida and he has his own 3D-printing company. Last I had heard from him, he was 3D-printing some parts for an aerospace company, so he must be pretty good at what he does!!!

Here are a some examples of my 3D mechanical design work (NOTE: The various colours are used as a means to differentiate between the different pieces of sheet-metal, otherwise, everything is charcoal-grey are you can't tell one piece from another):

1675979232464.png

1675979352553.png

-- This is a 12U Rack-Mount Card-Cage Chassis That Sold For $20,000.00 When Fully-Loaded With All Possible Features!!! --
1675979682721.png

-- This is the rear-panel main video output PCB for the chassis shown above. It has 256 BNC connectors
on this side and 32 96-pin DIN connectors on the other side!!! Talk about a "rough and tough" PCB
routing challenge!!! There were 4 other PCBs also located on the rear-panel that were used as the inputs. --

1675979914564.png
1675980091137.png
1675980246488.png
1675980611330.png
>>> "IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL AND I LIKE IT"!!! <<<

If you need any assistance
and/or if I can help you in any manner.....just let me know with a PM, OK???

/

Attachments

• JBW-Designed - Mechanical Detail DWG.pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am a solidworks user, and it took me forever to get my head wrapped around it, then my friend explained "Most 3D cad systems have drawings and features". A drawing is flat and is used as a reference to make something when you add features to it. Example, draw a square. Then with a feature, you make it thick. Then you highlight the edges (drawing again) and add a feature that makes bends. You now have a box...

I am a solidworks user, and it took me forever to get my head wrapped around it, then my friend explained "Most 3D cad systems have drawings and features". A drawing is flat and is used as a reference to make something when you add features to it. Example, draw a square. Then with a feature, you make it thick. Then you highlight the edges (drawing again) and add a feature that makes bends. You now have a box...
Thanks Paul. I used to draw stuff as flat in autocad when I was at college, & then there was an extrude fuction to make it 3d. I gues that's the process I am trying to discover in freecad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back