Anyone uses anything by Lucid or Symetrix with PS-3 psu??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackies

Basically I have this Lucid converter sitting on the shelf because I don't have a PSU for it. It looks like PSU in question (Lucid or Symetrix PS-3) supplies AC to the unit, because the unit has diode bridges and voltage regulators inside.
Curiously, it has like 3x5v regulators and 2x+/-15v regulators, apparently separate regulators for everything, what, an attempt for some clean power?
So I was thinking maybe its like ~35vct and ~7v?
Anyway, I would be much obliged if someone could measure the PS-3 output voltage(s).
It uses 7 pin DIN connector, and the pinout seems to be as follows:
two ac voltages between last pairs of pins on each side and center tap (or ground?) the middle pin.
Thank you very much!

:shock: W00T!
Nobody? That means I gonna have to buy a psu then, instead of using some random transformer or two, wrapped in electrical tape and soldered directly to the board because I dont have a 7 pin din...
:grin:

what, an attempt for some clean power?

Most likely an attempt to get around UL certification. If you buy external PSUs with it already you don't usually need to get it certified after that.

The funny thing is that UL is voluntary at the federal level. *Some* states and local ordinances require certain things be UL listed before you can buy them.. Strange eh?

Not to bump a crazy old thread, but does anyone know where you can get a replacement PS3 power supply for the Symetrix units?  Wow...they are going for $150 everywhere.  That's more than the unit I need a supply for is worth! 

Any ideas?  There has to be a non-PS3 branded PSU replacement somewhere right?  The Lucid gear uses these power supplies too.

Yep, a crazy old thread.
For the record, I never got a PS3 psu, instead I jerry-rigged two transformers with 18v and 9v AC and a DIN plug, worked just fine...
Kind folks at Symetrix/Lucid have their old service manuals on their website, with pinouts and schematics and such.

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but would you explain me how you did it, did you use two 18 volts transformers and two 9 volts or just one of them?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back