Apex 460 DIY Mod Advanced Audio Forum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest this is not what I expected you to say. Hopefully a little troubleshooting is all that is needed! Are you still using the stock capsule?
Whenever a mic I’ve worked on is noisy, a good cleaning with a flux remover pen often solves the issue.
Microphone parts stuff is pretty good. I have an RK47 capsule from the first batch they had in a FET847 mic. Sounds unreal

Aha! That’s some good info Gus. If I’m reading this right, lowering and matching C9 & C10 will take care of the resonance issue, and lower the noise when using a 12AT7. I have a 12AT7 in mine right now, and while there is some hiss it’s not unusable.

I’ve got a 200pF cap plate to ground. I haven’t been able to put this mic through it’s paces yet, I can say that the sound has smoothed out quite a bit from stock
I'm not using the stock capsule. In this one is an edge-terminated "CK-12"-style capsule from JLI Electronics. Not a Tim Campbell, or Beezneez, but I've used them before and not had a sibilance issue. I clean my boards with 99% iso alcohol and a Q-tip when I'm done soldering. The tube is an old RCA 12AU7. Swapping that with one from a good mic will be my first troubleshooting step since it's the easiest thing to do.

The 6072a I thought was bad seems to have stabilized. Guess it just needed some burn in.

For those who have done the mod, do you have loud popping when switching polar patterns? Using the same power supply my TCM1150 is dead quiet while switching patterns. My Apex 460 pops badly.

Also, I discovered the TCM1150’s capsule is symmetrical, while the 460 has a noticeably darker & less sensitive rear diaphragm. I know some folks dig the darker sound some of these mics have on the rear diaphragm. I am not one of them

I'm not using the stock capsule. In this one is an edge-terminated "CK-12"-style capsule from JLI Electronics. Not a Tim Campbell, or Beezneez, but I've used them before and not had a sibilance issue. I clean my boards with 99% iso alcohol and a Q-tip when I'm done soldering. The tube is an old RCA 12AU7. Swapping that with one from a good mic will be my first troubleshooting step since it's the easiest thing to do.
Did you turn it off and back on again? Haha. I hope it’s something simple like a tube swap

I work in IT. Turning things off and back on again is usually our first step - and what we tell end users to do. I also need to revisit the power supply and make sure the voltages are all what they are supposed to be with the mic attached versus a 180K resistor in the socket.

Yeah I going to try this one. If this is seriously all it takes, then there's no sense spending $250 on a new PCB and parts that aren't needed to do a "Fox 460" mod.
Dave did my two older 1050’s (with soldered tubes) and the result was phenomenal!

I am in the same boat as you … in that I originally purchased two 460’s to use as donors for Matador/Chunger’s C12 …

But upon stumbling on to the Fox 460 Mini Mod … and Dave’s AA version … I went back to Studio 939 and ordered two of Chunger’s donor bodies so I could preserve my two 460’s for Dave’s 460 upgrade!

I already have two of his AK-12’s and the rest of his upgrade sounds reasonable to me to end up with another pair of excellent upgraded 460’s to go along with my Matador/Chunger C12’s …

Used 460’s and upgrading them is definitely becoming an addiction!

I consider it a much more beneficial Senior activity over needlepoint or basketweaving !

I've got a 1050 and did the upgrades to it. I think I have a bad capsule (BN-M7). It's never sounded all that good. It's OK but doesn't compare to my other higher end tube mics with M7 and K47 capsules. Maybe I just like the higher distortion of a plate follower? Not sure. I may buy another Flat47 and drop it in there to see if it makes much difference.
On Dave's modification to the 1050, did he put in a tube socket or is the tube soldered in? Could be that the EH tube I got isn't the greatest.

I've got a 1050 and did the upgrades to it. I think I have a bad capsule (BN-M7). It's never sounded all that good. It's OK but doesn't compare to my other higher end tube mics with M7 and K47 capsules. Maybe I just like the higher distortion of a plate follower? Not sure. I may buy another Flat47 and drop it in there to see if it makes much difference.
On Dave's modification to the 1050, did he put in a tube socket or is the tube soldered in? Could be that the EH tube I got isn't the greatest.
On my 1050’s, Dave just soldered in the EH tubes … likely because they were originally without sockets … and adding sockets was a very cramped upgrade …

I have been pleased with the EH tubes from Dave … and I know that I could tweak up the tubes to something else from this point … but they sound just fine with Dave’s EH’s …

Best Regards !

Wonder if it's still worth doing mods ourself.
I see more and more "modified" microphones selling for very attractive price like this on here.

https://gototoolz.com/shop/ols/products/gtz12-tube-microphone
I got Apex 460 donor mics new, very cheap around 180$, AA mod pack was 210$ .
Plus, not necessary but I made new cable with Sommer SC - Octave Tube cable and Neutrik XLR's 35$, bought nice C12 style grille 35$ and new Shock mounts 30$
Including shipping for all parts it was around 500$ per mic, which is still amazing value considering how good and usable these mics are and how much i learned about mic's in process of modification... still 300$ for new modified with warranty is a killer deal.

Wonder if it's still worth doing mods ourself.
I see more and more "modified" microphones selling for very attractive price like this on here.

https://gototoolz.com/shop/ols/products/gtz12-tube-microphone
I got Apex 460 donor mics new, very cheap around 180$, AA mod pack was 210$ .
Plus, not necessary but I made new cable with Sommer SC - Octave Tube cable and Neutrik XLR's 35$, bought nice C12 style grille 35$ and new Shock mounts 30$
Including shipping for all parts it was around 500$ per mic, which is still amazing value considering how good and usable these mics are and how much i learned about mic's in process of modification... still 300$ for new modified with warranty is a killer deal.
I guess it depends on what end you're after. If you just want a good mic at a decent price, a used modded mic would probably be a great way to go. You could never sell a moded "cheap" mic for boutique prices so finding them used should be a bargain, but I actually enjoy sitting there at the bench with the soldering iron building these things. But I'm weird that way. Just ask my wife.

I sit corrected. I see this is not a used, modded, mic, but new for $300 with "modded" parts? Very interesting. Any experience with this "gototoolz" place?

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what end you're after. If you just want a good mic at a decent price, a used modded mic would probably be a great way to go. You could never sell a moded "cheap" mic for boutique prices so finding them used should be a bargain, but I actually enjoy sitting there at the bench with the soldering iron building these things. But I'm weird that way. Just ask my wife.

I sit corrected. I see this is not a used, modded, mic, but new for $300 with "modded" parts? Very interesting. Any experience with this "gototoolz" place?
Once again … I am in complete agreement !

Having worked for 36 years in a major music studio, as a technician in the aerospace industry (JPL, TRW and others) and doing tech work for the IT division of the city of Los Angeles … I have a solid background in electronics tech …

For me … building any gear is cathartic … and a means for keeping up my tech chops … and as I always say … a far better senior hobby than basket weaving !!!

There is that euphoric feeling of fulfillment that comes with building something with your own hands that (usually) works when you turn it on … and the knowledge that is gained from building it that provides a solid foundation for troubleshooting when it doesn’t …

Then … there is this wonderful community of like-minded souls, who share their passion … and trade their stories and experiences that we all appreciate and gain from …

If someone does not enjoy the personal satisfaction (and challenge) that come from DIY … then it is great to find deals like gotoolz, which appear to be very well constructed mics at extremely reasonable prices …

But for most of us … we build for the fulfillment, love and passion that is DIY !!!

Best Regards !!!

Indeed making microphones is awesome hobby.
I use microphones for recording artists and don't have that much time for DIY, but I do enjoy it a lot when I can.

If you ever decide to unload your shelves let me know :)

Back