API 2503 transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iprovlek

All thanks to CJ, Aaron from DonAudio....

I use Edcor EI63 lams,Edcor bobbins, and Litz wire from Germany(PACK Litz wire)....

Attachments

• 20190410_140343.jpg
    20190410_140343.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 222
Nice, I want to build an API style console myself eventually. Winding your own transformers should save a huge amount of money.
Is there like a recipe to follow, or did you design it from scratch? I get how the turns ratio works, but I guess it's more complicated than that, if you want to make a high performance transformer.

As a matter of fact, I've just received my CNC coil winder, so I want to try out transformer building as well  ;D

Hi Anthon!!!

Yes winding your own trannies saves the money a lot....

It is built from scratch and CJ recipe!!! ALL THANKS TO CJ!!!

Here is link where recipe can be found.

https://vacuumbrain.uk

And this trannie is very simple to make!

It is quadrifilar type of trannie!!!

Thanks a lot! Seems like straightforward enough.

And you've ordered the Litz wire form here https://www.packlitzwire.com/
I guess if you are making a lot of them, then it's a worth while ordering  a premade wire. Was it their standard stock, or a custom order?

Are you also making the input transformers yourself?

Yes that is company that doing wires from 1939!!!

I asked for this particularly wire 4 twisted 0.28mm gauge wire!!!

Isn't that cheap wire but it worth it! Especial when you doing lot of them...

I didn't made any input trannie but that is My next wish!!!

You have recipe for input for API on CJ site that I sent you!!!

I did API 1604 inspired 16 channels mixer, lots of job,time,money and endless soldering...

So need it lot of trannies....

I wonder if a coil winder can be used to twist litz wire.
For instance, you want 2.5 turns per inch, you take 4 strands of 1000 inch  each, fasten them to the bobbin part of the winder, give it tension, and program it to make 2500 turns at moderate speed.

I know it works well for short wires, but I have no idea how it will work for large lengths.

Yes, a DIY recording console seems like the mount Everest of DIY audio. But I guess that's what makes it exiting.
I would go there eventually, probably also something 'small and simple' like API 1604.  ;D

iprovlek said:
I know that power drill can be great for this purpose....

I suppose so, but then you would need a way to count the amount of twists you made. So you either have to count every turn of the power drill, or estimate the amount by counting small segments, so you would need to stop from time to time to check if you have the required amount of turns.

It would be nice to know the exact amount of twists you make without counting the actual twists on the wire, for the sake of simplicity and consistency.

Anthon said:
I suppose so, but then you would need a way to count the amount of twists you made. So you either have to count every turn of the power drill, or estimate the amount by counting small segments, so you would need to stop from time to time to check if you have the required amount of turns.

It would be nice to know the exact amount of twists you make without counting the actual twists on the wire, for the sake of simplicity and consistency.

Rig a cheap photocell type counter and slip a cardboard disk with single hole in it on the drill shaft with a focused light shining on the disk...every turn the light should shine through the hole and trigger the counter...

Anthon said:
I wonder if a coil winder can be used to twist litz wire.
For instance, you want 2.5 turns per inch, you take 4 strands of 1000 inch  each, fasten them to the bobbin part of the winder, give it tension, and program it to make 2500 turns at moderate speed.
What kind of precision do you need here? Does it matter much? My understanding is you want this for quadfilar winding. I very much doubt the number of turns per unit length matters much. There is no skin effect involved here. I would think the only reason for twisting wires is to help with compactness.

Back