API 312 Thread!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:razz:
Coolest looking trafos so far :thumb:
I was very interested reading your corresponding dissection and resurrection of the Api2622 from Seth...
I am intensively looking for the parts sources in central europe (such lams seem hard to get...) as vat, taxes, shipping and customs affairs from overseas sometimes are horrible (and unpredictable).
And ofcourse i wanted to diy a transformer since the NRG hardcore thread :grin: !

A short OT quest for you:
do you think the following core/bobbin could be of use for any groupdiy project as IP or OP diy xfmr?
May you please have a short look at this specs:

2 E-Lams ("attached"/ geknüpft)
Bobbin with 8 solder pins
techn. specs: AL 500, Permeability 5000 H2 , core size 20 x20 x 6 mm

distributer claims audio range usage for them and they are DEAD cheap.

Thank you very much, CJ for doing all that funny transformer stuff! :thumb:

Kind regards

Martin

Well I found my toroid cooking problem - on the PSU312 board, there are traces that are fairly close to the drill holes. I had some metal standoffs that were grounding a trace to the chassis, so heads up to anyone else who has that problem.

Now it works great - and sounds beautiful! I will take some pics later on. It looks just like Fabio's 1U with the power supply inside.

I'm still unsure about the output tranny wiring though, but is passing audio OK. From the pic above, I have brown and red as the input, n/c on the orange and yellow. Output is the green and grey, with blue and violet connected together. Should that be 150 ohms : 300 ohms? Do I need to parallel the inputs? Thanks

-kdawg

Hey Fabio, what did you use for R3, R4/5 on the 2520bc? i ended up trying 20k for each and it doesn't work at all. probing after the input BJTs with a signal seems to amplify..

alo
same here:r3=20k
r4/r5=20k.works fine.
tell me svart,did you make all the connections in those empty holes?i guess there is a connection from v- to somewhere in the midlle of the board.
best regards
pedro

Chris, I use 20k... there´s some other guys having issues even with this value. BUT all the 2.5.2.0BC I have stuffed (around 30) work ok for me...

What values are you using for R6, R7 ?

cheers!
Fabio

I'm finally starting on my Fabio pcb 312s and have made my first error. I ordered the grayhill gain switches from Digikey, so they are the non-shorting type (-AJN instead of -AJS suffix). So at in-between positions the opamp will be disconnected from C3 (the cap to ground from the gain pot/switch) and POP. Not pretty.

Rather than try to find a US vendor that sells the shorting versions of these things (and spending another $15 ea) I was wondering if this workaround would be reasonable. Couldn't I strap a 500k-1M resistor across the gain switch (Ga-Gb) so that in-between positions go to very low gain with less popping? At any particular position this resistor would be in parallel with the much smaller gain setting resistor and have almost no effect. Does that sound reasonable or is it not even worth worrying about?

A P

Hi all

I found these as a cheap replacement for the DPDT_C&K_E201MD1AV2BE
from Greg's list.

Try these:

mountain_312_switch.jpg

mountain switch #20126DPDT24

Mouser part# 108-0024

10 or more of them for USD $3.06 each WOW!!!

These will also work in the phase position in Peterc's Green pre as well.

GARY

alo svart
i have a 2520bc rev1 in front of me right now.
there are 4 holes in one side.
top to bottom:eek:ut/v-/g/v+
v- has two holes.one for the pin,and another to jump to another hole close to r13.i made this connection with a piece of wire.
best regards
pedro

found it louder, that FIXED my problem... :thumb:

but now i feel like an idiot.. I've been looking at that little hole wondering why it had the v- next to it.. while thinking my problem must exist in something else I did.

now it makes all kinds of sense!

i did that too.
simpatico!
it works now?

Fabio posted earlier which holes should still be empty when it's all done.
From top:
1. Just below 'G' and Gnd pin
2. Just left of 'R1'
3. Below 'O', right of R12
4. Just below 'C1', stamping out - designation for pin below
paul

tricky stuff, glad it works now!!!! so, do you like the sound of it?

BTW Gary, thanks a million for that cheap option on switches !!!!

hey Fabio, they sound great, but I'm sort of liking the Gainbloak here too.. but the gainbloak tends to overheat the Vregs and cause the -rail to break into oscillation.. :?

I'll figure that one out soon.

:thumb:

I used those switches too for mine

is it possible to use the servo out option as well as the tranny out? I'm using the Profile output transformer and a JH990.... I read back through this thread and didnt' really find a clear answer...

Latest posts

Back