API 312 Thread!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys....i fired mine this weekend..the PSU on a box works well. +18, -18, 0v, 9v and 48v.

The pre itself work like a charm! sounds good....but only with dinamic mics!
there's only one switch that works: Line in, there;s no phantom power, no pad or polarity.

one question: would be good if i link every ground path o each other??

The relay ground and bi-polar/phantom ground are not connected on the PSU PCB. Use your meter to confirm this. I'd recommend taking them seperately to your star ground. When I linked them it formed a ground loop.

thanks greg, gonna take it in consideration!
for now you know xmas time only i did linked to the bipolar ground and the leds work!

it should be alright then!

thanx

hi,
does anyone have the manufacturer and part number for the DPDT PCB toggle switches with the threaded bushing that fit Fabio's boards? i've seen them on Fabio's builds and also on the JLM BA/Go-Between boards.
i've searched mouser, digikey, newark, etc. and they only have the ones with the non-threaded bushing. any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks.
grant

Actually you don't really need those kind of switch as long as you bolt on the board to the case. i used pushbuttons on my pair to come!!

but if you really need them Ptownkid has them for sale!
do a search on the black market.

[quote author="3nity"]Actually you don't really need those kind of switch as long as you bolt on the board to the case. i used pushbuttons on my pair to come!!

but if you really need them Ptownkid has them for sale!
do a search on the black market.[/quote]
yeah, i know i don't need the exact ones and considered solder lugs, but since i have a grayhill gain switch i thought it would be easier to mount the pcb. i was wondering about the threaded bushing type because i don't want all the weight of the pcb supported by just the greyhill switch.
thanks for the info 3nity! :thumb:
regards,
grant

wait.....the boards sits in the bottom of the rack case with some 1/4 spacers!!
Don't try to put it tight by the grayhill or switches!
Once your boards are tight to the bottom, you work on the front panel!!!

or the way around start with the board tight to the front panel but sure to put your spacers to keep the board flat!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/AnalogPackrat/312ish_Inside.jpg

thanks for reminding me about that 3nity! :grin:
with reference to AP's Fabio 312 build i think i gave him some 3/16" standoffs because of the tight squeeze with the power supply caps on the PSU board, but i think he might have used 1/4" standoffs for the channel pcbs. i think i'll just go with solder tag/threaded bushing toggles which will allow some room for less precision on drilled mounting holes. i'm in the habit of printing my layout of FPD panels and taping them to the actual panel and double checking all the mounting hole before ordering (learned from dumb mistakes made on earlier builds).
cheers,
grant

Good so!
You can reach Joe at JLM audio for the switches too. those are the ones that came with the Baby Animals!

If Fabio made his psu boards jut a bit more narrow it would fit sideways into a 1ru case and you could have a heat sink

regards Greg

Hi there.
My 2 312 have some things to be fixed.....everytime i push the Pad or Phaze switch i get a noise! But it goes away when both are on!

is this a bad ground?

The second one....i had the same parts in each board. but they don't sound equal??

Hello!

I need help with choosing an output trannie that would fit Fabios PCB.
Sowter has 3 differnet models of the 9825 trannie:

1. Coloured leads;Style A
2. Solder Tags;Style X
3. PCB pins;Style B

I would like to mount the trannie on the PCB because I plan to do 8 channels in one box. Does somebody know Which of these would work?

Or some other output transformer?

Miska

[quote author="3nity"]Hi there.
My 2 312 have some things to be fixed.....everytime i push the Pad or Phaze switch i get a noise! But it goes away when both are on!

is this a bad ground?

The second one....i had the same parts in each board. but they don't sound equal??[/quote]

There shouldn't be a ground in any way involved with either the pad or polarity switches.

Your two questions combined lead me to believe that your problem is, I'm sorry to say, assembly error. Only solution is to stare at it for a long time. An ohmmeter may prove useful.

Hi Miska,

why not buy Fabio's output traffo?? he sells them pretty cheap too and they rock..
contact him to find out.

peace
Gil

If Fabio made his psu boards jut a bit more narrow it would fit sideways into a 1ru case and you could have a heat sink

They do fit side ways. that is exactly how I mount them. No heat sink needed, except for the 5V reg. But if you use 24V or 48V relays you don't even need it.

:green:

Hey guys,

I have one channel that is not passing audio from the mic input but is through the DI - so something is arwy before the DI. Is it possible that I damaged the input transformer somehow? Maybe the pp or pad relay?

-Tony

I noticed there is a provision on Bauman's API board for a VU Meter.

Would it work to just hook up a Sifam 19 VU meter to the + and - terminal on the board, and just be done with it? Something tells me there is more to it than that.

Has anyone used a meter with the API. In searching through the threads, I can't find anyone who did do this.

Thanks.

Back