• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

API 312 transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure Sowter makes an equivalent. Not sure if/how that would help. It's never been cheap to go from US to Europe, international shipping costs are insane now.

Unfortunately the UK left the European Union, so in Europe we have to pay import duties/fees from the UK like we pay from the US, with the shipping costs it makes everything really expensive.
Sowter and Carnhill transformers are costly for us now.

AVDAudio is from Russia, so outside of EU also, so we also have to pay import duties/fees.

Cinemag, Jensen, Edcor and Triad are from the US, so no really good alternatives for Europeans at the moment

Reactions: igs
...UTM...this is IGS - Poland...whats the core we use them in nevish transf - oryginal shape, and mumetal, and winding schematics?

Having a Polish source is great but unfortunately they don't allow other shipping methods besides Fedex which are overly expensive, the same for UPS and DHL methods.

It would be great if they offer the possibility for other shipping methods, registered regular mail works great and is much cheaper

IGS you seem to know a lot about UTM. Is UTM your business ?
Yes.
This is a kind of our daughter company we established during the covid times when we had terrible problems with transformer's supplies we used before.
After about 10 months of development and 20 years of experience in the pro audio market, we switched to UTM. It was at the beginning of 2021.
Personally, I guarantee the top quality and the best sound of UTM. We use the permalloy cores, the best available copper wires, and perfect quality control. Transformers are handcrafted in Poland, the building next to us. We use AudioPrecisin for measurements and we know what we do.
IGS Audio wouldn't use transformers we couldn't trust.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information IGS,
it's great to know there's a company inside the EU doing these transformers.
I lived in Poland and I can say there's a big experience industry wise in the country on audio electronics and transformers production, I still have my Polish Power supply (with Polish transformer) to supply my guitar effects pedals from when I was a student living in Poland in 2004, still works very well up to this day.

May I ask you, is it possible you describe from the model numbers UTC has what are the original transformers they are based on. I guess some are based on the Marinais used by Neve and others relate to API but I don't know enough to know what to use in which project.

Thanks

Reactions: igs
Thank you for sharing UTM's products, i wasn't aware of them! For APi like transformers i've bought some from Chris at FABmicrophones and Andrei at AVDaudio, both sound stellar, i'm curious to try UTM's version of it!

Thank you for sharing UTM's products, i wasn't aware of them! For APi like transformers i've bought some from Chris at FABmicrophones and Andrei at AVDaudio, both sound stellar, i'm curious to try UTM's version of it!

Thanks, I didn't know about the FAB transformers, although for me it's the same problem they're outside the EU and importing stuff is getting pretty expensive at the moment

Ordered a UTM2555 to try out in front of a Roberts770 tube pre. ShouId be pretty nice, gut feeIing says. Have a Cinemag CMMI-7 there right now and never totaIIy Ioved it. Too shiny. Hoping this sounds Iess shiny and bigger if I am a Iucky Iad....

EDIT: UTM2555 sounds superb in the Roberts, very happy. Recommended.

Last edited:
Just wanna thank you all for your positive feedback. We do our best coz the technical aspect of the sound is our passion.
It's too early to say something about the UTC transformers we can recreate, but we keep on working on it.
In meantime, you can look at our UTM2510, the vintage Teletronix input style transformer (1:9). It's a UTC A-10 replacement. It will be available in Feb 2022.

https://utmindustry.com/utm2510
Or the UTM3502. 1176 rev. A-D output. Available now:

https://utmindustry.com/utm3502

Last edited:
Hi @igs

Do you ship worldwide?
Or, to be specific, do you ship to Brazil?

Many companies won't ship to us. We have serious problems here regarding not only taxes but also products being held at customs for months (not to mention misuse of the return policy), so it's not unreasonable to ask :)

Edit: sorry, I though I was posting to JC's Meta Transformer thread. Did not mean to clutter this thread. Please @igs feel free to answer me there, or PM me, or ignore me at all 😇

Just wanna thank you all for your positive feedback. We do our best coz the technical aspect of the sound is our passion.
It's too early to say something about the UTC transformers we can recreate, but we keep on working on it.
In meantime, you can look at our UTM2510, the vintage Teletronix input style transformer (1:9). It's a UTC A-10 replacement. It will be available in Feb 2022.

https://utmindustry.com/utm2510
Or the UTM3502. 1176 rev. A-D output. Available now:

https://utmindustry.com/utm3502
Nice! As soon as the la2a transformers are available I definitely buy a couple of trannies from you guys. Need a coupe of different ones for various project :)

Do you offer a la2a style output transformer as well?

Would it be possible to order a IGS T4BX at the same time to save some shipping cost?

Nice! As soon as the la2a transformers are available I definitely buy a couple of trannies from you guys. Need a coupe of different ones for various project :)

Do you offer a la2a style output transformer as well?

Would it be possible to order a IGS T4BX at the same time to save some shipping cost?
I have the information that housings for the UTM3510s are finished and will be shipped to us on the 4th of Jan.
So, we'll launch this product in the middle of Jan too.
Yes, we can combine the shipping to reduce the costs.

Latest posts

Back