Apogee Ensemble SMPS - convert to linear supply?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<sigh> Well, good to know it had a perfectly functioning current-limiting protection then... Noooot.

Really sorry to hear that. And perhaps it was hasty of me to assume you had definitively determined that the stock power supply itself was at fault. I think we can agree it's now pretty obvious the core / initial issue resides on the mainboard.

I just bought a second hand Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt, and aside from having a pretty burned out OLED screen (that I'm about to replace) I've noticed a mechanical high pitched whine from the switching power supply, especially when it's in standby. It uses this unit:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Murata-Power-Solutions/MVAD065-12?qs=jTOxOOerCX6KFmD/Qs4J2Q==
It looks like the SMPS only provides a single 12v supply, although I don't quite understand what 'remote sense' is on the pinout diagram?

I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to replacing this supply with an external linear power supply, would it noticeably improve performance? I've heard that these switchers can introduce noise to the audio and can be considered a wear item (hard on capacitors).

Or should I drop another switcher in there and be done with it?
Hi Ph! Please tell me, have you been successful with replacing the OLED display on your Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt? I wish I can do so and I assume the display is the same as the one in the Apogee Duet. The internet is full of tutorials on how to replace the OLED display on the Duet, but with the Ensemble you're the only one who even mentions it. Still, it's the same problem and OLED displays are probably the weakness of these devices. I'd be grateful for any tips or information about the display you chose, the replacement procedure, etc. I would hate to ruin my new (second hand) hardware. thanks in advance for the help. viktor

Viktor,
Yes, the OLED replacement was successful and wasn't too difficult as I remember (which I don't much).
I got the part from Apogee directly as I couldn't find it on my own, and they didn't provide any support for a DIY installation. I suggest that you get ahold of them.

Latest posts

Back