As if I needed another hobby...DIY Microphones this time!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elvis the Pug

New to this site and it is all because I came across a Youtube video of a totally committed DIY microphone fanatic known on Youtube as The Microphone Assassin.

My background with electronics etc goes back to my first home built replica of a Fender Blackface Dual Showman amp to support my love of guitar playing mostly surf for starters and later the whole 9 yards.. In the years since I've spent my career primarily working as an Engineer on the production and testing of various communications satellites for the Howard Hughes Space and Communications Group in El Segundo CA. NASA flight level solder certified for 20 years. While maintaining my keen side interest in playing guitar pro level, designing and building audio device electronics, working in third party software support for Roland Digital Japan and various other audio side projects. Now retired I am keeping busy with my lifelong hobbies of guitar and tube amp collecting, building amps, guitars and worse.
So now I am wanting to build a few (I repeat, just a few!) tube based mics for my recording hobby.
So now I get to travel down this rabbit hole and see if I can cull out the most significant portions such as which capsules to use, which bodies suck, which circuits are best etc.

Here are a few videos of mine at Youtube

CNC milling a Les Paul top

J-200 replica build

Latest posts

Back