Ashly SC-50 repair a success

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wood was adhered to the pcb edge with hot melt glue
I'd feel uneasy about a piece of wood inside the case. Why not use four standoffs of the needed length and drill four electronically decoupled holes into the PCB and the case for holding them in place?

Hi Script. Something like your method would be far superior (and easily removable for service but I was overcome by laziness! It's in the rack now and working great! I did not consider drilling through the pcb's because they are so thin. Strange that the boards are so thin when the rest of the unit is so solidly built.
BTW It was one zero ohm resistor than failed but 3 of them fell apart on removal.

Attachments

• DSCN2738.JPG
    DSCN2738.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Why not use four standoffs of the needed length and drill four electronically decoupled holes into the PCB and the case for holding them in place?
I took some measurements. The chassis I opened has a tan pc board which is ~1mm thick. The green pcb's used are thinner, maybe ~0.5mm?
The distance between top and bottom plates is ~33.6mm.

A 25mm spacer can work on the component side, but could be shaved down half a mm or so.
That leaves ~7mm for the spacer on the trace side of the board depending on the thickness of the pcb.

On the tan pcb there's a useful mounting hole at the rear on the LED end of the board, but lots of room for a hole if needed.

The opposite end where the ribbon cable plugs in has a lot of traces along the rear edge. A mounting hole for the standoffs could be drilled ~90mm from that end; not too bad a location.

There are small kits of M3 nylon spacers available on eBay and, I guess, Amazon. They include some that have a threaded stub on one end.

So, there's a way to do it, but requires some work and fine tuning.

the zero ohm resistors can be machine inserted just like resistors saving labor cost. At Peavey we had a machine that would insert actual wire jumpers that it cut and bent from a spool of bare wire.

Those broken parts do not look like typical zero ohm resistors, in any case they were not very reliable.

JR

Back