Ask a 1960/70s UK Console Designer techie questions...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guys -
Geoff Frost - designer and builder of the Sound Techniques desks (and builder I guess of the Chelsea Studios that they resided in) has very kindly offered to answer any questions that we have about them.

Please ask away - and I will put them all into a email.

(piccies - in this thread
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=1275&start=15)

Okay, I'll ask: some of my favorite recordings, including Fairport Convention, Incredible String Band, and a classic Stefan Grossman double album "Ragtime Cowboy Jew" were recorded at Sound Techniques -- heck, Grossman even named one of his improvisations "Recording at Sound Techniques Blues". And the recordings had some of the clearest sound out there.

So...could Geoff or John Wood give us some information about mic choices, positions, etc. on those classic records? What did they use for recorders? And, perhaps more on-topic, what's in that wonderful console?

Peace,
Paul

How about a question about how he laid out internal grounding? That's a fascinating aspect of console design, and every designer has his own approach/rules of thumb. With the multiple signal paths, running serial in some places, parallel in others, matters become more complicated than what most DIYers face with relatively simple "single path" projects such as preamps, EQs, etc.

Back