asking advices One of a kind TAPE magentic recorder repurpose Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, of course not. Hook up some electronics from an old wreck and see how your heads are doing in your machine! Then decide whether to build new stuff or hack something together. Maybe an old walkman could deliver some adequately small amp boards?

Well, in that case my speculations are maybe way off, and you have two channels in that thing. Though it puzzles me that both channels in the record-head would have yellow leads.
I still have hunch that some of the components on your pcb serve to regulate the power to the motor.

Makes sense to me about the rec head getting signal fed from the connector.

probably right about the power parts but since i can get it to run direct its for now back in priority.
the hammond transformers are audio ones and i ve it apart now to follow wiring from the other side of the pcb. but its confusing to me.

i assume E=Terminal is always power and ground

imcan pin point n poke around with signals etc but i am always a bit hestitant with power after i saw a cap blow up in front of me. If i try the battery on the connector i dont know for sure if that blows some cap etc.

btw mu metal foil would shield the erase and rec heads when i want to playback only?

Why would you need to shield any heads? as long as you don't have any signal on them, they should be inert. Of course, the occasional demagnetizing helps keep any residual magnetism out of the picture. My Revox passes the tape over all the heads all the time...
Cheers,

I was thinking since there are no controls (remember its a mil data device) the heads are physically (magnetics) always active. So with your revox i think you charge the heads with the buttons but in my case....

I was thinking since there are no controls (remember its a mil data device) the heads are physically (magnetics) always active. So with your revox i think you charge the heads with the buttons but in my case....
Except that is no different to the case when a Revox is recording. The 15/16 ips version of the Revox A77 was frequently used by radio stations to log all the station output for the purposes of royalty collection. A standard ply 2400ft reel tape will last 7.5 hours at this speed, much longer than the average Tornado sortie time.

Cheers

Ian

I am unsure now. I thought i should expect always erase. and always record even silence.
thats why i thought about temporary head shielding/blocking

Well, so far, all we know about this recorder is that the playback heads are connected to the pcb inside. As far as I can see, your other heads are on the connector, so available to your whims (controls).. I don't see any problem simply switching off the erase and record heads when you don't need (aren't using) them...

Cheers

Back