Audio Cable used for CAT 5 /6?

Help Support GroupDIY:

PermO

Anybody that connects a mic through 100m of cable is a fool looking for trouble, or a desperate man.

I know plenty of live venue's where the cable run from the stageboxes to the controlroom exeed 100m lenght.
Actually, I think this goes for most large venue's.

You could place your mixer first row and sit with the VIPS and use short cable runs... but I don't think that would be much appreciated.

Now if you are really looking for trouble, try to set up 40 wireless connections in a city like Amsterdam 😀

abbey road d enfer

I know plenty of live venue's where the cable run from the stageboxes to the controlroom exeed 100m lenght.
Actually, I think this goes for most large venue's.
In the 20th century: I am not aware of large venues where a permanent analogue cabling exists for concerts, and being used. It is certainly used for speech and sport commentary.
In most cases, the mixer is installed in the main area, typically 30-50 meters from the stage, with temporary cabling. Most of the times by a hire company.
The only cases I know where the permanent cables are used is when the budget does not allow or the sound engineer has not enough clout to impose a better solution That's why is said fool or desperate.

In the 21st century: Now, the existence of digital stage boxes is a real game changer.
You could place your mixer first row and sit with the VIPS and use short cable runs... but I don't think that would be much appreciated.
And not sensible. The mixer should be far enough to capture the room sound as well as the direct sound, in order to have the same perception as the public. Something he can't do from a sound booth or the front row.
Now if you are really looking for trouble, try to set up 40 wireless connections in a city like Amsterdam 😀
I don't know. what is so special in Amsterdam, that makes it so difficult? I think it's difficult anywhere, but there are enough examples of working systems. But running 40 wireless mics seems unrealistic; I can't really imagine the need for so many. The typical challenge is the total number of wireless links, thar means, in addition to mics, IEM's and comms.

Latest posts