Audio demos of equipment question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi!

Didn't know where to place this question...

Audio demos of audio hardware we all build, ¿should be mastered? (audio mastering), ¿or not?

Let's say i've built a mixer, made a mix with it, (Raw mix). ¿should i get the mix mastered or not?

I want to clarify that the final audio will end up as a stereo 24bits 44.1khz file at soundcloud, and also be included in a vídeo for Youtube.

So, i have two options:

1. YES. Mastering will not do harm the audio much.

2. NO. Mastering will do imprint a tone to the mix.

¿What is your opinion on this?, maybe i'm overthinking... ???

Jay x

There are several aspects in mastering.
One aspect is conformity, i.e. making sure the program respects the restrictions of the final media. In particular some media/broadcasters apply restrictions to the Dynamic Range. And indeed the max level cannot be higher than 100% fs.
The other is more an aesthetic choice. Many people are not confident enough in their capability of producing a ready-to-broadcast product, so rely on a new set of ears to make adjustments

If you are trying to creeate an audio demo of the mixer, then mastering will interfere with that so I would avaoid it.

I have made a demo recording of one of my EQs in action. I definitely do not need anyone to master that.

Cheers

Ian

Well, Mastering will make things sounds better and louder which in most cases will be percieved as better, the thing you want to ask yourself is which approach are you going to follow: are you going the honest way, or the "marketing" way, you know, I am talking about those ads were models are photoshoped, excess make up, etc... I don't think you are cheating if you master the audio, specially if you only just limit it and add loudness.

Sadly, marketing exists because it sells more than 100% honesty, so its up to you.

Latest posts

Back