Audio designs 667 is this api

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the amplifier is an adm 667, not api, adm. The output transformer on that thing is pretty intense. The meter is made by API which I believe is a completely different company from the other API. API meters are pretty awesome, the ballistics are almost as good as a weston in the ones Ive used.

dave

Yours doesnt have a UTC 0-12 near the edge connector? If it doesnt, yes it can be converted to a preamp just like most line amps, just add a step up transformer to the input, ADM used an 0-12. If you like the sound of the output transformer then yes, it is a good thing. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

dave

sorry dave , you are talking to a newbie and Im only aware of the obvious design featyres of a preamp . There is a utc input transformer on the board
and the output trans former is mounted to the back of the chasis and on the outside is the big utc power trans . If you have time Id like to send a photo of the guts

no worries man!

The big square transformer is the output transformer, there should be a pair of transistors in a block heatsink on the board right before it.

With the edge connector facing you, on the front right of the card there is a grey can, that is the input transformer which I believe is an 0-12 however there is a mu shield around the can so you'd have to remove it to make sure.

Ive only ever seen these amplifiers raw, never seen the enclosure they came out of. I believe they run on +24 v DC. I think they sound very good and would be worth your time to hook up and if you have the right input transformer you can wire them as mic pre's with no problem. If you like soundgarden, most of the guitars on Superunknown were recorded with an ADM amplifier similar in design which uses the same output transformer, so use that as your judge of wether or not its worth your time...

this schematic might help you out-

http://www.avensonaudio.com/tech/ADM/ADM668%20schematic%20beta.pdf

take the shield off the input transformer (remove the two screws and gently pull it off, hopefully it will slide off) and see what kind of transformer it is.

dave

yes its the 0-12
I actually have two of these and one is missing the original vu meter .
do you know where I can scare one up . I suppose ebay,
Ill keep you posted on what I do . I apprciate talking to a pro
thanks for the info
gary

ha, Im not really a pro, I just play one on the internet...

you can get api meters on ebay but they are usually very expensive, you can get a brand new sifam for much less than what an old api will bid up to.

Post a photo to the group here, most everyone here knows way more than me. You should be able to get some real help if youp run into a problem.

dave

I have some 668 modules and I am too interested in using these as mic pres. Their was a guy on e-bay trying to sell a pair of adm 668 line amps he said that you can jump with resistor across 2 pins on edge connector and increase gain up to 55db. Looking at schematic I don't see any good way of doing that? I am no engineer.............. am I wrong?

I do really like sound of these line amps. May also have an extra vu if you could send a pic of what yours looks like.

[email protected]

I have a buddy here in Detroit that swears by this stuff. He's quite familiar with the ins and outs of them. He has a couple ADM consoles. I've never heard one myself, but he really knows his stuff, so I trust they're good.

the resistors go in the feedback loop, just use a pot...

dave, if you can spare a pair of api meters, let me know, Ive been trying to find a pair to upgrade a tape mahcine... Shoot me an email with your address again btw, I still have that christmas tree to send you. Im a slacker...

All I have to say about ADM is thank god steve ablini hasnt publicly said the stuff is cool, its still affordable... Um, neotek series crap or a real amp for now laughably less than what neocrap is selling for. Shh, dont tell anyone or post it in the internet.

dave

Latest posts

Back