Audio Technica Double-Wave diaphragm: AT3035?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k brown

This textured, micro diamond-pattern diaphragm material is being touted for the 5040, 5045 and 2035 mics I remember finding it in the AT853 mini-mics decades ago; they seem only recently to be touting it.

Though the 2035 capsule looks exactly the same as the 3035 I used to have, now I wonder if it also had a 'double-wave' diaphragm? I don't remember it being mentioned in any reviews or AT product descriptions. May be another tiny detail that distinguishes the 2035 from the 3035.

Since I no longer have the 3035, if someone who does wouldn't mind taking a strong magnifier to the capsule and see if it has the fine texture of the double-wave material?

Anyone know of any other brand of mic that has a textured diaphragm material?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230102-230700.png
    Screenshot_20230102-230700.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
The AT diaphragms look exactly like that; like I said, they've been making them like that since the little AT853 (early 90's?). Even the tiny ES-series capsules have that diaphragm.

the ksm32 is one of my favorite sounding mics of all time. it just has a...something. can't describe it. i think it's the treble response. and i'm not normally the type to use this kind of vague language. that being said, that something stacks and songs that are recorded using ksm32 on every part sound really weird

Last edited:
This textured, micro diamond-pattern diaphragm material is being touted for the 5040, 5045 and 2035 mics I remember finding it in the AT853 mini-mics decades ago; they seem only recently to be touting it.

Though the 2035 capsule looks exactly the same as the 3035 I used to have, now I wonder if it also had a 'double-wave' diaphragm? I don't remember it being mentioned in any reviews or AT product descriptions. May be another tiny detail that distinguishes the 2035 from the 3035.

Since I no longer have the 3035, if someone who does wouldn't mind taking a strong magnifier to the capsule and see if it has the fine texture of the double-wave material?

Anyone know of any other brand of mic that has a textured diaphragm material?

Where did you find this information? The only mention of a "double-wave diaphragm" I can find is in the manual for the BP4025 (stereo field recording mic) and it doesn't say what that means, only that it's patented tech.

I recently acquired 3 used AT2035's (not 3035's) because they were super cheap and their specs look great on paper, so I'm curious.

Last edited:
From AT press releases.

Attachments

• Textured diaphragm.png
    Textured diaphragm.png
    36 KB · Views: 0
  • Textured diaphragm II.png
    Textured diaphragm II.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Textured diaphragm III.png
    Textured diaphragm III.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 0