Audiox DIY Recording Console coming... Comments welcome!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiox

The channel module drawing tells more than a thousand words:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_XBYPfmG8pVSEFDZXZHejRLR0E/view?usp=sharing

My biggest published DIY project so far. A fully featured console for (multitrack) recording and mixing. Or to be used as an input stage for a digital workstation and with the possibility to mix in the analog domain.

Designed with love for those who can't afford a high $ vintage console, but get rash from the Chinese audio electronics.

The design work of the channel module is almost ready. The master/group module and the monitor/aux module will follow.

I will publish all the documentation here. But please be patient, this is a large and time consuming project.

All comments and suggestions welcome!

Some highlights:

Transformer balanced discrete mic preamp (Studer 169).

Nice sounding EQ (Studer 169) allowing discrete or IC op-amps.

Machine return / line input with own +/-15dB gain control. Not a pad in front of the mic stage, but a purpose designed balanced input (with a Studer 169 transformer option).

Balanced insert with in/out switch.

Balanced post fader direct out for a multitrack tape recorder / audio interface.

Routing to master and 8 groups.

8 auxes with small trimmer style level controls and pre/post fader switches (1-6 and 7-8).

PFL/SOLO switch.

Channel ON/OFF switch.

The mechanical design allows standard 40mm or 500 series compatible 38mm module width.

Love your channel strip graphics. What tools did you use? can you share your stencils? :)

And... yes, I'd like one of those consoles too. If only I had the room.

:)

/R

My comment would be to make things modular/expandable if possible (may not practical). Different people might want more/less auxes, more/less EQ, etc.

Amazing project !

thanks Audiox

This would be my perfect " Daw Version" , if possible :

Pre + EQ  for tracking

Analog Summing Mixer for Mixdown + VU
no busses, no sends

API Style - Master Output Stage
with Pre + Post Trimmers to drive the Master ( Transformers ) 8)

Attachments

• DIY-Console-Daw.jpg
    DIY-Console-Daw.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 80
ruffrecords said:
I jusr noticed there is no mic gain control.

Cheers

Ian
Is it the one above phantom toggle?

I'm keen to see the other modules. Hopefully audiox has time and willingness to post them at some point :)

Maybe a " Fader Swap" option ?

Preamp - EQ - Line Trim -  Direct out ... to Tape

Large Fader - Pan  ... to Mix

Back