Auditronics 501 IM 2b Input Module / PEQ-82 Recap.... confused by Tantalum codes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetihunter

Hi everyone, my name is Rob.   

I'm a bit at a loss, for I want to replace these tants, but I can't
figure out how to read their values.    I tried checking back on the 501 input module
schematics I have at hand, however, things aren't adding up.   

I do not have a peq-82 schematic.

They have those resistor band style markings.  One of them has a tolerance band on
one leg.  However, instead of a polarity marking, multiplier dot with typical tant colors (white, black, grey, red, brown); there's green and blue stripes (and a one of them is brown). 

I'm trying my best searching forums, and reading the schematics (albeit for different 501 revisions), but I'm just not matching up with any of the values I should be expecting.      :-[

There should be 10 uf tants in here.... eh...eh...and 1 uf....eh..and..my schemo is being so emo.

Anyone know how I'm supposed to read these? 

"A"
157147d1265686231-what-kind-caps-these-thread-tantalum4.jpg

"B"
157148d1265686231-what-kind-caps-these-thread-dippdedtantalum1.jpg

"C"
157149d1265686231-what-kind-caps-these-thread-dipped-tantalum2.jpg

"D"
157150d1265686231-what-kind-caps-these-thread-tantalum5.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I promise to start sharing some of my wacky projects
instead of being a lurker who dashes out of the shadows looking for easy answers.  :) 

Hi,

do you have a capacitance meter? the ones in my Glensound mixers were leaking enough to be a problem, but not so much that I couldn't measure them with a meter . . .

kindest regards,

AndyP

High there.

Unfortunately, I don't have a capacitance meter handy.
Since it's a matter of ".001? uf .01uf? .1uf? 1uf? 10uf?",
the meter in question would have to be auto-ranging, methinks.   
There's really nothing around here (any given location in the USA)
for that sort of thing, I'd have to order one off the nets and wait.

Asides, I'm not interested in removing any of the tans until I have
the replacements... :eek:

I have a 501 console, all of my modules are 2-Cs or 2-Ds, but they should be mostly the same. All of the power decoupling caps are 10uf. There are a few tants in the signal path: one coupling cap is 10uf, the high pass filter cap is a .56uf, and there are 2.2, 1 and .56uf tants in the eq for the three lowest bands.

I thiiiink there might be one other 1uf tant in there somewhere, but my schematics aren't here. All of the above is from memory and looking at the caps in a (recently recapped) module in front of me.

Hope that helps!

Ok, I got the tants worked out enough to order parts!  The 10uf's are all over the peq-82 too. 
I'd go by size, but if those color bands have anything to do with the general way of
doing things, some of the tants are rated at 20v, some at 6.3v and one at 16v.   

These values are real close, but I imagine if there are some that are part of the eq circuit,
they should be somewhat accurate. 

Just to double check, those 12 or so polypropylene capacitors are .1uf 20v?

Again, thank you; I've moved ahead quite a bit!

Ok, I took a look again, and it's glaringly obvious by voltage rating and size and your values which
is witch which is which.  ;D

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back