Auratone DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
erikb1971 said:
My drivers finally arrived... so tomorrow I am going to work on mine! They will be a nice dark cherry red... and seriously considering calling them DaveTones :)
Where did you order your drivers from?

Man! If I would have seen this two weeks ago I could have saved myself 100 bucks. I heard the Auratone 5C original drivers were basically the same as the Bose 901 consumer speakers (except they use one driver, not a billion).

Andreas Pfeiffer said:
erikb1971 said:
My drivers finally arrived... so tomorrow I am going to work on mine! They will be a nice dark cherry red... and seriously considering calling them DaveTones :)
Where did you order your drivers from?

I used the drivers selected by Dave: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Media/PDFs/L69AW.pdf
But since they do not ship to Europe, I had a problem. Fortunately I have a friend who's boyfriend lives in Edinburgh, and as it turned out, he frequently visits what she calls "the boring shop", which is Maplin. So with a little detour.. I got them!

Here's to Dave!

If Dave is ok with it, I'll put the .ai and .eps files in the gmail account...

Cheers

Attachments

• davetone_logo-3.jpg
    davetone_logo-3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 56
Finally got my davetones working in the right chain:

RME digiface - Marian Adcon - Mackie BIG Knob - Sure Electronics TA2024 2 * 15watt board - Davetones!

The last three items of that chain on the pic:
17si21.jpg

Got all of it from ebay: big knob 100 EURO, ampboard 12 EURO (http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=1580), davetones DIY 25 EURO

Dirt cheap but surprisingly nice sounding monitoring chain!

Thanks again Dave... here's to you!

Erik

Maybe this could be a speaker substitude?

http://www.goldwoodsound.com/Woofers4_files/GW2054Sgraphs.pdf

Although the lower mids are a little flatter than the Maplin one!

Hi there guys!
Excellent works indeed!

I would like to ask you if its just simpler to use a non magnetic shield speaker.
The idea is that LCD are no longer used as monitors.

Also can any of you guys post pics of the inside?

Many thanks!
Costas

natureloop said:
Hi there guys!
Excellent works indeed!

I would like to ask you if its just simpler to use a non magnetic shield speaker.
The idea is that LCD are no longer used as monitors.

Also can any of you guys post pics of the inside?

Many thanks!
Costas

I don't think that it is simpler whether you use a shielded or non sheilded driver.  You just buy the drivers, there is no extra work required either way.

Rob Flinn said:
I don't think that it is simpler whether you use a shielded or non sheilded driver.  You just buy the drivers, there is no extra work required either way.

I thought there would be a greater variety in non-shielded drivers that much the needed response.

gemini86 said:
And just to clarify, I believe you meant to say crt, not lcd.

Yes right!

natureloop said:
Rob Flinn said:

I thought there would be a greater variety in non-shielded drivers that much the needed response.

The thing is you don't use Auratones/clones because you want great fidelity, they are used to give you an idea of what it's going to sound like on some very ordinary, not particularly good speakers.  So "much needed frequency response" isn't a too big issue here.

Rob Flinn said:
The thing is you don't use Auratones/clones because you want great fidelity, they are used to give you an idea of what it's going to sound like on some very ordinary, not particularly good speakers.  So "much needed frequency response" isn't a too big issue here.

I can understand that as well as getting rid of the crossover area of a 2way monitor!
I saw your Auraclones and they look fantastic! Which drivers did you use?

The original Auratone had a very steep/tight time domain response (~20ms).
Shouldnt that be accounted as well?
Or is it that with most drivers frequency transients across the 100-10000Hz, die out fast?

Cheers
Costas

Back