AVID Protools HD WUPs Subscription Anybody

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

How is everybody feeling about this? 

I realize companies need cash-flow but $600 a year to be my friend for HD?  It comes down to your cash flow to be able to play along I guess.    Just wondering how everyone feels about this subscription model.

Still using 10 with my blue192 and core_accel card system.  I can only use Pt 11hd on my laptop with built in audio for VI's and such.    Not sure where I'm going after 2015.   

Here's a Duc link.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=364422

"Support via email or one actual phone call per year"
great :D
I'd never subscribe to these plans..

Well, my opinion is that they're doing what they can both to stay afloat and to survive (with "acceptable" profits). So just like any company we can expect decisions that aren't to our liking every now and then.

One of the most stable versions of PT was years ago when Macs were still beige and ugly. Things have in my opinion gone downhill somewhat when it comes to stability, but Digi/Avid bet (wisely) on DSP to drive their software and TDM locked them into a specific space. With Nuendo and others doing certain things way better the only way to move forward was to ditch TDM. What I see now is a software that is in general much better, but buggier.

From that perspective I think for some types of businesses it makes 100% sense to get onto PT11 with the new coding. If you're in post and have to output 60 minutes of content then you have to wait an hour for that to happen. For years we've been able to do that in Nuendo as fast as the computer can handle it. So for post that's a no-brainer. Get PT11 and save time. Time is money. And with that follows different hardware and now different pricing.

I think PT12 is probably worth it - again - for post people. The collaboration features will probably get highly used over time. $600 for those businesses just becomes "noise" added to billing to clients. If you're fully booked 50 weeks of the year, 40 hrs per week, it's only 30 cents per hour, for places that often charge $100's of dollars.

For anyone doing music or who is an independent engineer it's different though. I think the bar for when it becomes worthwhile is a bit higher. And I certainly would be a bit annoyed depending on what I currently owned. If I had PT 11 HD then I'd be annoyed that I'd be paying just as much as some with lesser versions.

BUT, since I only work on other studios' PT HD systems and personally own Nuendo the subscription (to license) is actually really neat for me. Because it allows me to do as much work as I can on Nuendo and when required I'll be able to just rent PT HD for the duration of the project, at which point I'll certainly charge that to the client one way or another.

So I don't think it's all bad this situation, but I agree that it's a bit annoying for some, and part of that may be that people will just have to get used to not upgrading as frequently and stick to their current version. But for most people I'm guessing if you can't produce good content with PT version 10 and up the problem probably isn't the software anyway.

I get what they are doing but the real question is are you willing to pay that kind of money to be in constant beta mode.

radar studio is looking better and better to me every day

MattiasNYC,  Agree with most all observations. I love hearing different perspectives form the Group before  singing the blues.   

The drama is in Avid using a strong-arm position with their keep your HD version forever but once you miss the WUPS enrollment deadline Dec 31 2015,  you loose the ability to pay an upgrade later fee and will have to buy a new HD version that is only sold with new hardware.    That said you bring up a point of renting for the job at hand as an option instead. 

If you rent you must already own some hardware if your running HD.  What is it?  I hear the delay with AAX plugs on say RME or Apollo make them unusable for Post work.  That comes from a Digi Guru who project managed Icon and D command controllers.

I have an AVID omni I/O I use for my monitor 5.1 controller and enjoy that so a native card  would get me running on 11.  Omni I/0 latency is not a problem at all.    10.3.8 with the right template rocks for getting the work done with the Old Core/Accel cards.  It's the VI need that always pushes me into new OS territory and hence new versions of software to support that. 

I guess its, "Be Great and do more work, or Be Gone" ;)

Latest posts

Back