avoid import duty? reciprocal USA/UK forwarding/postage by groupdiy members?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paultec said:
Into the UK:

Mark as "Commercial Sample"

Mark below "£15" in value

Do not insure. Make sure a signature and tracking details are required/provided.

This is not illegal.

What Customs and Excise do IS...

Do your homework.

Big yin says;

wthrelfall said:
.........and consolidate into one box and forward on to the UK......

A consolidated package declared as a commercial sample under £15.00 may pass through the customs on a day when a dumb, deaf and blind customs officer is on duty.

sahib said:
Paultec said:
Into the UK:

Do not insure. Make sure a signature and tracking details are required/provided.

This is not illegal.

Do your homework.

Big yin says;

wthrelfall said:

A consolidated package declared as a commercial sample under £15.00 may pass through the customs on a day when a dumb, deaf and blind customs officer is on duty.

...and a quote written by a person with no knowledge of legislation might pass for a ,"Clueless f**k nut"

You might want to educate yourself before typing....

:)

Paultec said:
sahib said:
Paultec said:
Into the UK:

This is not illegal.

Do your homework.

Big yin says;

wthrelfall said:

...and a quote written by a person with no knowledge of legislation might pass for a ,"Clueless f**k nut"

FFS, keep it social!

Paultec said:
sahib said:
Paultec said:
Into the UK:

This is not illegal.

Do your homework.

Big yin says;

wthrelfall said:

Giving up smoking really getting to you mate?!

Wrong tone, whether what he wrote was incorrect or not.

zebra50 said:
Re: avoid import duty?

And of course it is actually fraud.

I have never heard of a case of anyone paying import duty on goods sent to the UK. In many cases thought you will be charged VAT plus a handling fee for collecting it. The key for the receiving postal service seems to be whether the item is from an individual or a company. If it is clearly from a company, gift or not, they will charge VAT on the declared values PLUS the shipping charges. Quite where values was added in its trip across the Atlantic is beyond me but that seems to be the case. If it is from an individual then if is is marked a gift it usually gets through. This seems to work in the other direction too - I have sent $500 worth of transformers across the pond declared as a gift, tracked and insured for the full amount and as far as I know recipients have not paid duty/VAT or the equivalent thereof.

On the other hand, I have received transformers worth $40 from Edcor and paid VAT on the $40 plus the $44 shipping charge plus a handling charge for collecting it.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have paid duty as well as vat a few times, on electrical goods over the £135 limit, both from private Ebay sellers, and from companies. Duty rate varies depending on the category code.

For example, I was charged VAT and duty on the Equinox mic body that I bought last year. I have also been charged VAT on things declared as gifts, over the £40 limit. Government probably needs it, and HMR&C seem much sharper on this in the past three years.

Stewart

zebra50 said:
Hi Ian,

I have paid duty as well as vat a few times, on electrical goods over the £135 limit, both from private Ebay sellers, and from companies. Duty rate varies depending on the category code.

For example, I was charged VAT and duty on the Equinox mic body that I bought last year. I have also been charged VAT on things declared as gifts, over the £40 limit. Government probably needs it, and HMR&C seem much sharper on this in the past three years.

Stewart

Interesting. I suspect below the £135 limit the carrier just collects VAT automatically but above it the C&E are involved. Seems as usual there is no clear cut answer. I am not so sure about HMR&E needing the dosh - did you see the report where the caught two container loads containing 20 million smuggled cigarettes? - worth £2 billion in lost revenue if they had reached the market.

Cheers

Ian

Back