B2Pro new logo

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eronchel

Hello,
I can’t find info about new Behringer B2 Pro mics, the ones with new logo. I read they are not head detachable so I don’t understand very well what this means.

I have one of old ones which allows to open it and extract capsule. So this new one version of rhe mic is not allowing to acces to the capsule?
I am maybe going for a second B2 pro and no old ones available here but new ones. I could get an old one from ebay but I am thinking about getting a new one but I am worried about the possibility this new one is not able to be modified in a future.

Any help would be welcomed.

thanks

The new ones have surface mount components and don't have the detachable head. There's not really anything wrong with surface mount components outside of being difficult to replace compared to through hole ones. There's something like hot glue on the XLR connector wires too. I don't know if this is to reduce the risk of the wires bending or if it's to prevent modification. You can still modify new ones, I've got one collecting dust because I haven't felt like modding it (pretty much never been used outside of verifying it works), it's just a bit harder to get at the capsule.

The detachable head ones can swap the capsule between bodies, so you could have an M7 style capsule in one, a CK12 style capsule (or an edge terminated Chinese capsule), and a K67 in another one and just swap them between the same body.

Thank you very much.
I have an old one and I have got to access to the capsule easily, the doubt was about if with new ones it is possible to change capsule too. You said it is harder to do it, but at least that seems to point that it is possible, no?
Any of you have got to open it?

and other thing: new ones, apart from mounts componets, are different from old ones? Different capsule? Different sound? Better? Bad?

thanks!

Thank you very much.
I have an old one and I have got to access to the capsule easily, the doubt was about if with new ones it is possible to change capsule too. You said it is harder to do it, but at least that seems to point that it is possible, no?
Any of you have got to open it?

and other thing: new ones, apart from mounts componets, are different from old ones? Different capsule? Different sound? Better? Bad?

thanks!
I don't know about how different they sound, or what the capsule is, but they're no longer made by 797. I say it's harder to open because I had to push the switches quite a bit to be able to get the PCB out of the case. It can take some work, but it's able to be disassembled quite easily. I think they sound fine for the price, but if that's what someone will be using stock, I'd recommend a CAD M179 since those are only $180 USD currently.

Depending on the mod you do, you might not need to do much with the switch PCB. Replacing the big board in the body might be a good idea.

The way the headshell and capsule mount up on the older version B2 PRO is much like a U87 , The newer one doesnt look as good for making modifications .

Heres a pic of the two different versions .

I converted my B2 into a tube mic with an EF86 and sowter transformer , I was able to mount a tube socket on the headshell , then I drilled out the lower black plastic so the tube passes through , The grid resistor , cathode resistor and bypass are all mounted in the headshell keeping the paths as short as possible .

The B2 has quite a broad bucket shaped boost in the top end , I dont how much of thats due to the capsule , the circuit or both . Either way some of that charachter remains in the resulting tube mic . Ive used it on everything from vocals to acoustic instruments to drums .

Attachments

• behringer-b-2-pro.jpg
    behringer-b-2-pro.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 20
Back