Bae 1073 wrong resistor value?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskysquad

Hey guys. I am very impressed with the build quality of the BAE 1073 module, the only thing I've found is that at 30 dB the signal is quieter by about 1.3 dB than it should be. Not a big problem, but I felt like I found the cause. I opened the module and started looking at the ELMA switch and the resistor values that are soldered to the switch. Having a vintage Neve schematic nearby, I found that all resistors in BAE module are identical to vintage Neve schematic, except for the one resistor, which is exactly at the 30dB gain position. Judging by the schematic, the value of the resistor should be 3k3, but instead of 3k3, there is a resistor with a value of 4k3.
Could it just be the wrong resistor value that is causing the signal at the 30dB position to be 1.3dB quieter than it should be?
for example it looks like this:
Gain BAE Neve
20dB 4k3 4k3
25dB 3k9 3k9
30dB 4k3 3k3
35dB 2k2 2k2

Yes, that would definitely account for the slight attenuation. Is there a 4K3 resistor in the -20 position?

Yes! 4K3 resistor is in place! It turns out here are two identical resistors, one at the -20db position, and the other at the -30db position 😕 . I'm wondering why they did that. Probably, when assembling the module, they simply mixed up the value of the resistor.

Yes! 4K3 resistor is in place! It turns out here are two identical resistors, one at the -20db position, and the other at the -30db position 😕 . I'm wondering why they did that. Probably, when assembling the module, they simply mixed up the value of the resistor.
manufacturing mistake, me thinks. In turn it passed testing and qc to go out the door with the same mistake. it happens. if you had a second unit to compare it to, you could confirm the findings. Depending on how strict they are at BAE they have just let it slide as it's only around a dB.

Latest posts

Back