Basic headphone amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That circuit has problems. It has no current limiting resistors, no drain resistors, the feedback network resistors are unnecessarily large, that chip cannot drive heavy loads to a high level well (which ironically is exactly what the text claims the circuit provides) and it's a little fast for single supply with one film bypass cap.
I think you have to remember it is a hi-fi design. They seem to be obsessed with 100K input impedances. It also has a 100uF electrolytic across the supply as well as the film cap so perhaps not that fast after all. But the lack of current limit and drain resistors is a definite amateur mistake.

Cheers

Ian

I think you have to remember it is a hi-fi design.
I have not tried loading an OPA2134 with 30 ohms (and probably never will because I get a twitch in my eye when asked to pay for things that are unnecessarily expensive) but I doubt very much that the fidelity would be very high. With +-6V there might be some highish build-out resistors that would keep the amp THD down and still put out enough power but as-is it doesn't have any so ... fail.

Latest posts

Back