BBC how midi changed the world

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool article, though it doesn't mention CV...

Major thanks to Smith and Wood!

[quote author=the article]
For Dave Smith, MIDI could only become a success if every manufacturer adopted it - "we had to give it away", he says.

The universality of the format was perhaps an early example of what now gets called "open source" technology - MIDI's backers intended it to be a free gift to the world which allowed anyone access.
[/quote]

at the end of the article it  mentions of a full report on a BBC program. I guess that means there is a longer article either in audio or written form somewhere.

It was very well presented with interviews. Dave Smith said something like l if he only made some money out of it but it was not the idea at the time. To me guys like him are the real heros. They pushed boundaries.

We were the first company to implement the midi-protocol into lighting equipment in the early 80's.
68HC11 and assembler were our friends.
Current DMX today is a no-brainer, at the time this was a big step forward, especially on larger configurations.
It also made it possible to add programmable sequencer function's at the cost of a few buttons and lines of code, formally only available on very expensive desks.
I came across this small set a few months ago, still in daily operation after almost 3 decades  :)

Attachments

• GIGS Electronics.jpg
    GIGS Electronics.jpg
    123.2 KB
Back